Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2006, 03:55 PM

Help, my cavalier keeps messing in the house

Hi all

I've found this website and thought I might ask for anyones advice... I have a 2 and half yr old cavalier king charles male. He has a terrible habit of peeing up my furniture and even peeing on his own bed. I'm begining to seriously lose my temper with him because he even does it when in the house when I'm upstairs or something. I've tried ignoring him, rubbing his nose in it, shouting No .. the lot, but he doesn't seem to learn.

I do know he sometimes does it more when hes been left for periods of time and I've got back, its like hes being defiant (although I have no choice at leaving him in the day because I work)

Any help would be appreciated and I have considered having him castrated to help the problem because I feel sometimes its a territorial thing because of the bed etc (he does it when its been washed!) but I've been given mixed advice where this is concerned. Hes being looked after by friends when I go away on holiday and I want to sort this problem before then so he doesn't wreck havoc in their home too!!!

HELP!!!!

cheers for reading everyone
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi Rachie welcome to Dogweb..

In your situation I would assume the little dog has never really been house trained, so I would start again from scratch..
..this means taking your dog outside to the same spot to relieve himself after every meal/ sleep/play/excitement/first thing in the morning/last thing at night/when it 'circles' or appears to want to go out and about once every hour during the day. Whenever the dog performs say 'clean dog’ and give lots of praise and a treat , then take it straight back into the house so that it associates going out to that particular spot with one purpose only.

You need to do this until your dog gets into a routine.
Also thoroughly clean the places where he has previously soiled with biological washing powder. It takes a little time and a lot of patience but you will get there eventually

This article is about houstraining puppies but it may be of help ..

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/hou...uppy_8974.html
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 04:43 PM
agree with mini .............start over cavaliers are very pleasing dogs and eager to learn

sorry to say getting cross and rubbing his nose in it will just make him nervous then you'll get nowhere
plenty of praise when peeing in the right place and ignore bad behavior ....go back to the puppy days good luck x
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. I will try the MAJOR praise when he goes out and wees etc cos he does (most of the time) ask to go out at thee times you said, theres no pattern to it and thats what hard and he does know before I even say or do anything that hes done wrong cos his ears drop. I'll be washing everything and starting again... thanks again for your help and I'll let you know how I get on
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 05:18 PM
the worst thing you can do is loose your temper I know its trying sometimes

as i said above this breed is very eager to please he just needs to learn all over again where he must go ....I have an 18 week old cav pup who was clean then started going on the back door mat we just had to teach her again to go outside I think the recent bad weather hasn't helped .......the penny has now dropped and she askes to go out now

its just takes time and patience
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 05:21 PM
You could buy a good size cage and when you have to go out leave him in that, it would save you getting upset with him and will return your relationship to one of love and pleasure.

But continue with the housetraining as suggested and you will also have to get him used to the cage, starting with short periods at a time. In the mean time shut him in one room when you are out, the kitchen or the bathroom, leave him with bedding and water along with something to keep him occupied like a stuffed kong.
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Have you tried crate training? it's much like what thordell said i found it extremely handy. and stress free
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm half way there its just fine tuning my little monster!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Hi Rachie what is your dogs name? How old was the puppy/dog when you got him? What method of house training did you use?
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Hiya

Hes called Charlie and I had him when he was about 8 weeks old. We did the 'puppy pad' training and for about 6 months he was great. My ex moved in with us when he was about 18months old with his male staffie and all hell broke lose!! (me and Charlie live alone now, thankfully!!) but he can't seem to break the habit
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >