Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gemgem
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2014, 02:58 PM

Beagle with a Heart Murmur - Please tell me more

Hello! Rufus came to us on the 5th April this year, and I took him down the vets on Monday to get him registered and checked over. The vet found a slight heart murmur. She said it wasn't of concern as it obviously wasn't giving him any bother. I'm just after some advice on this condition, and would love to hear of your dogs (beagle or otherwise) with this, and how they are!

Thanks,

Gem, Tess & Rufus
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-04-2014, 03:50 PM
If he is a puppy then there is every liklihood it will be gone by the time he is a year old. Did his breeder not have them vet checked prior to them going to their new homes, normally when they have their first vax they are vet checked at the same time and thats when these sort of things are normally picked up and the new owner can be told of it, rather than finding out the way you did.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2014, 05:31 PM
A heart murmur is not necessarily a health threatening condition, though it is something you'll want to monitor. Many animals (including my mum) live long lives without it affecting them in the slightest. Make sure you have documents from your vet about it, just in case you have to go to an emergency vet or if you go on holiday or something, just in case. Best to you!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Firstly, don't panic because if it is only slight it could well disappear by the time he's 6 months.

I have two littermates (brothers) who are now 3. I took one on as a 'rescue' as he had a heart murmur. The grade of the murmur is not a 'science' as it is categorised by the loudness of it. One vet classed my dogs murmur as a 3 out of 6 and another has classed it as a 5 out of 6. With my dog its down to a 'floppy' pulmonary valve. He never stops playing and runs three or four times as far as his brother when out and off lead. The only time I'd make him slow down is when its hot outside.

My dog could live 5 years or 10 years but is unlikely to make 15 but we treat them both exactly the same. We have been told that he won't suddenly drop dead but will slow down and to watch for a cough. No signs at all at the moment and then his condition could be addressed with medication.

As I said many dogs are born with mild murmurs and the majority of them just disappear There are many humans walking round and doing sport at high level who don't find out they have a heart murmur until way into adult hood.

Enjoy your lovely dog (I adore Beagles) and try and put it to the back of your mind .... the chances are next time the vet listens to his heart it will be normal.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 05:54 PM
My Saluki x Greyhound died aged 8.
She had a heart murmur that never stopped her doing anything. She ran like the wind and would play and keep up with any other dog.
Whether the heart murmur contributed to her death we are not sure. But she went peacefully and at home.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 06:16 PM
As did my Charlie Girl Nippy. But really only the vet can tell how serious or otherwise it is and whether meds will be required.

And obviously at least annual check ups.