Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 09:56 AM

Not sure if I should be concerned

Since we have had Kyiro he has had the most awful stinky breath. I have put it down to the food we bought from the kennels (although I am slowly swapping him off of that now) as he also did have awful wind too.
However since we have had the snow I have noticed his pee is bright orange and not having had a large male dog pee in the snow for quite a few years I am not sure if thats normal or not.
He is not peeing more than he should and he is not drinking any more than I would expect and seems bright and happy in himself and is eating well.
I don't know if I should get it checked out and hoped perhaps some of you with male dogs could tell me if yours pee bright orange in the snow.
He is castrated.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 09:59 AM
If it's any help, Len's pee is bright yellow, but not orange.

Give your vet a ring tomorrow, Bev, just to put your mind at rest. If Kyiro is happy in all other areas, I wouldn't be unduly worried.

x0x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm just waiting for the 2 weeks period of not being able to claim with a new insurance policy to pass first, although if someone thought it was urgent then obviously I would take him now.
I did google it and of course ended up scaring myself silly over it so thought I would forget that and ask you folks who will know best.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Knowledge is a dangerous (and scary) thing!

x0x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Knowledge is a dangerous (and scary) thing!

x0x
It certainly is. I keep telling myself if It hadn't have been snowing I would not have noticed the colour of his pee
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:25 AM
urine is more highly coloured in the morning, or if water is restricted. As long as he`s drinking enough it should revert.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I've been a bit alarmed at the colour of both my dogs' pee since it's been snowing. It's yellow, rather than orange, but way darker than I would have thought. I guess it's always been like that, but why would I notice!

Regarding the breath, have you had a look at his teeth? Would he let you brush them?
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:44 PM
I guess like all animals dogs drink less in the cold weather making the urine more concentrated.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
I've been a bit alarmed at the colour of both my dogs' pee since it's been snowing. It's yellow, rather than orange, but way darker than I would have thought. I guess it's always been like that, but why would I notice!

Regarding the breath, have you had a look at his teeth? Would he let you brush them?
His teeth look fine, lovely and white. Yes I do brush them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 01:32 PM
I know in humans that darker coloured urine points to dehydration, so maybe you could tempt him to drink more? Maybe he doesn't like the extra cold water that's in the taps now, so maybe put a bit of hot water in it Bev?

On our walk this morning up on the green, most of the urine in the snow was the same as my own dogs, i.e. yellow, but I did see one green one!!! I must get a life one day!!!! Good luck Bev.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >