Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 05:10 PM

Optrex Infected Eyes For Conjunctivitis

I replied to a thread in the week about someones dog that had runny eyes, my Tyler was showing the same symptoms but I had put him onto normal optrex and it seemed to clear up.

However, it became clear to me this morning that he does appear to have conjunctivitis. I phoned the vets to ask if I could have some drops for him. Please bear in mind that they will charge me another £22 if I take him in whereas I only have to pay for the medicine if I don't. I'm not being a skinflint but until I get my first weeks wages next Friday I am back to zero funds. The receptionist was pretty insistant that they see him but his eyes are not red or even irritating him, they just have this green discharge. (I know she has his best interests at heart).

I asked to speak to the vet, who obviously knows me and understands my current financial situation. He told me to go to a chemist, see the pharmacist and ask for Optrex for infected eyes. He said that it is only given out without prescription at their discretion as it does have an antibiotic in it, he also suggested I tell a little white lie and say its for a family member rather than a dog. He said that if it doesn't have any effect on Tyler by Saturday then I am to take him into the surgery and they will have a look at him, but he is quite sure these drops will do the trick.

According to the packaging it contains Chloramphenicol and it states that it is for the treatment of acute bacterial conjunctivitis.

Tyler has had two lots of the drops, you have to give the first doses two hours apart for 24 hours, then every 4 hours, only during waking hours though, and you must not use it for more than 5 days. I have to say that his eyes look clearer already and the gunk has disappeared.

I thought I would put the details on here in the event that it may be of help to someone else, and I didn't put it under dog health as its for humans really. If you do get some just remember to say its for a human though incase the pharmacist refuses to give it.

BTW it cost me £5.90 for a bottle, if it works it will be a lot, lot cheaper than a visit to the vet
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the very useful information.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Please use carefully - do not overuse.

Chloramphenicol is reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen, based on limited evidence of carcinogenicity from studies in humans. Numerous case reports have shown leukemia to occur after medical treatment for chloramphenicol-induced aplastic anemia.
Full document: http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/eleventh/profiles/s032chlo.pdf
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 05:49 PM
That is very handy to know. Thanks.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I replied to a thread in the week about someones dog that had runny eyes, my Tyler was showing the same symptoms but I had put him onto normal optrex and it seemed to clear up.

However, it became clear to me this morning that he does appear to have conjunctivitis. I phoned the vets to ask if I could have some drops for him. Please bear in mind that they will charge me another £22 if I take him in whereas I only have to pay for the medicine if I don't. I'm not being a skinflint but until I get my first weeks wages next Friday I am back to zero funds. The receptionist was pretty insistant that they see him but his eyes are not red or even irritating him, they just have this green discharge. (I know she has his best interests at heart).

I asked to speak to the vet, who obviously knows me and understands my current financial situation. He told me to go to a chemist, see the pharmacist and ask for Optrex for infected eyes. He said that it is only given out without prescription at their discretion as it does have an antibiotic in it, he also suggested I tell a little white lie and say its for a family member rather than a dog. He said that if it doesn't have any effect on Tyler by Saturday then I am to take him into the surgery and they will have a look at him, but he is quite sure these drops will do the trick.

According to the packaging it contains Chloramphenicol and it states that it is for the treatment of acute bacterial conjunctivitis.

Tyler has had two lots of the drops, you have to give the first doses two hours apart for 24 hours, then every 4 hours, only during waking hours though, and you must not use it for more than 5 days. I have to say that his eyes look clearer already and the gunk has disappeared.

I thought I would put the details on here in the event that it may be of help to someone else, and I didn't put it under dog health as its for humans really. If you do get some just remember to say its for a human though incase the pharmacist refuses to give it.

BTW it cost me £5.90 for a bottle, if it works it will be a lot, lot cheaper than a visit to the vet
hi

I use it as well
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

05-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi Sheree Thanks for that
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by royv View Post
Please use carefully - do not overuse.

Full document: http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/eleventh/profiles/s032chlo.pdf
Thanks for that, definately worth reading. The leaflet says to only use for a maximum of 5 days but Tyler is only going to be on it until Saturday at the longest.

I thought it would be handy to let people know though as we can't always get to the vet but we can get to a chemist, even if we just use it as an interim solution.

Hope it proves to be of help.