Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Problem with claws?

I'm really unsure what to do & would really appreciate yet more advice!

Molly (18 month old MinPin X) has managed to do something to the tips of her claws & seems to have either ripped off the ends of them or worn them really really low in the space of 3 hours!

I had to go out today to meet a friend but wasn't gone for long (3 hours) and left Molly with my mum. From what my mum has said, about an hour after I left she decided to do some gardening so took Molly out in the back garden with her. Our garden backs onto a kids play area (Well, it didn't when we moved but that's another story!) and what with the weather being nicer lately, we've had a lot of trouble with kids coming up to our fence and teasing Molly. Usually I deter them by standing by the fence & having words with any kids who try to tease her but things have been getting worse recently. Yesterday Molly was getting
wound up by some kids who wouldn't move away from the fence & she wouldn't come in so I went in quickly to get some treats & came out to find the little brats pouring water on her

Anyway, back to the point, from what my mum has said she couldn't get Molly inside today because kids were winding her up again & she kept running up and down by the fence barking & howling at them. At which point, I got home & brought her inside. When she walked over the carpet I noticed that she was bleeding from her paws so I knelt down & had a look & realised that somehow, she has either worn down the tips of 3 of her claws or has caught them & they have gone right down to the point where some flesh is peeking through

She doesn't seem too bothered by them, other than being a bit more subdued than normal & licking them a lot but I don't quite know what to do! She's going to the vets in the morning but I'm not entirely sure what to do until then. I've held off on her evening walk (So glad we braved the drizzle & went out this morning!) so that she doesn't irritate them further and I've cleaned them with some warm salt water but I don't know if I should do anything else like bandage them up or give her some anti-inflammatory medicine (She only stopped taking it last week because she still had her stitches in from her spay).

Help?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
The bleeding will be coming from the quick. The vien that runs up the middle of the claw. It can bleed a lot but it is harmless and You don't need to do anything other than you have already. Wash and miss her walk. It will e fine by the morning. If it bleeds again then just apply some presure where it is bleeding.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Get your mum to go some really spikey bushes at the bottom of her garden too
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
The bleeding will be coming from the quick. The vien that runs up the middle of the claw. It can bleed a lot but it is harmless and You don't need to do anything other than you have already. Wash and miss her walk. It will e fine by the morning. If it bleeds again then just apply some presure where it is bleeding.
Thank you very much! Do you think she will be okay to go for a walk by the morning?

Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
Get your mum to go some really spikey bushes at the bottom of her garden too
Haha I may just get her to do that!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Most likely just keep her on grass or soft ground as much as possible until you see how she goes
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Most likely just keep her on grass or soft ground as much as possible until you see how she goes
Ah alright then, thank you!