Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2004, 06:45 PM

breeding/showing question

Ok after years and i mean years of searching for my next breed, i have chosen it.

The Leonberger!
I think these dogs are amazing and have loved them ever since i met one a year ago!

Also..
I have always wanted to breed, and plan to in the near future.
I work in a breeding kennels at present.
I brought the book of the bitch, and havent been able to put in down yet.
I was just wondering do you have to show in order to breed?

thanks

OOOO ive just realised im a junior dogwebber!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Given that its impossible for every dog to be of show quality then no, i dont think you need to show to breed.
But you can see which dogs are being chosen in the ring and get to know why they are chosen - what qualities your future pups should be adhering to etc.
There are thousands of pet dogs who have never seen the ring and who are sired from champion/quality parents and may even be of show standard themselves but their owners choose not to show ( as is their right)
But as you say, do your research well
The important thing is to better the breed and choose future owners for your pups wisely
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 07:13 AM
thanks clarence, i did think the same as you, but others i spoke to on another forum, said that good breeders did show, and i got rather confused, so i thought id ask here, as you are all so helpful!

Gowsh the future owners of my pups will be soo carefully chosen, i wouldnt let them go just anywhere!

I do like showing, but its just so competitive, and so am i, its not best to increase it!
Plus had a bad experience of when scrump i took scrumpy to his first show, he was the only dog not chosen, to go through!
I wanted the ground to swallow me up!
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 08:21 AM
i think we can guess what the 'other forum' was Gem !

I am due to have a litter in the next week or so, i don't show at the moment, although i am keeping a puppy that will hopefully be show standard and will be showing her.
I have been to shows but never shown myself.
I have had advice from my breeder, the stud owner and other staff owners (and breeders) and without their help and advice, i don't think i would be having pups. I can see the faults that my own dog has, and have tried to choose the stud very careful to try to conteract the faults, although i am under no illusions, and know that some of the pups could also have the 'flighty' ears that my own bitch has, but as she is otherwise 'perfect' (if there is such a thing!!) we (my breeder & others) decided she would make an excellent brood bitch.

I am trying to improve on what i have, and as long as the pups are healthy, breed standard, and have excellent temprements (sp!!) i shall be over the moon!!, they are of course first and foremost bred for pets (and excellent pets they make too )

Emma
xxx
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Showing is not for everyone - it takes a lot of bottle too to stand up there infront of everyone
I dont believe in breeding for money alone ( one of my bugbears) and I dont believe in the "just one litter cos shes lovely" idea either.
You have to remember that there are ALOT of dogs out there and not all have homes. As i mentioned earlier i think you should only breed so as to better the breed ( if that makes sense)
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 08:35 AM
i am petrified at the thought of going in the ring, i am a nervous wreck at ringcraft!!!! , but i know i will settle down when i have done it a few times

Emma
x
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 09:16 AM
sorry to disappoint you em - it never goes away
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 09:19 AM
i have been 'up in front of people' before, i am nervous the first couple of times, then i just enjoy it

(i was a carnival queen and wessex queen of queen many years ago ops: )

Emma
x
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 09:19 AM
You won't Emma. That's the fun in showing dogs. You feel so nervous before you get in the ring that you want to throw up.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 09:24 AM
glad its not just me like that then kate-
I eventually got Other Half to go in the ring instead - although with libby I will have to do it
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »