View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:39 PM

Pup not really back to his usual self after op - please help (Intussusception)

Hi, does anyone have a dog or pup that has had a major operation???? I have a 12week old jrt who (it'll be 3 weeks this saturday) had to have an operation (he had pinched one of my son's dummy's(pacifiers) and swallowed the teat) so they had to open up his intestines to take it out, the thing is ever since he has been such a miserable puppy, the vet said at his last check-up that he is okay and they dont need to see him again unless we are worried about him, even though he has been mostly miserable he fusses us all if we go out(when we come back) and gets excited whenever there is food about. The things that are bothering me are the way he has been since the op and all today he has been sooooooo uninterested in everything (except food). But i dont know if i am just worrying over nothing. With everything else since his op i have compared how he is acting to the c-section i had with my son 2 years ago(i know its totally different, but i was so ill for 6 weeks afterwards and its kind of on the same scale) but this one is a bit of a worry he has been so "not with it" today. Im not sure wether i should ring the vet out and have him/her charge us £60(that we cant really afford right now/my OH is out of work at the min) to tell me im right(in that he is just having an off day) or wait til tomorrow see how he is and then decide wether to take him for a check up or not. Can any of you compare with this? give me any advice? or just give me your thoughts? any help/advice greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for any help/advice. thanks, love rach xx
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
if really worried go to the vets, do you know if he is otherwise unwell - he is eating but what about poo's and pee's are they regular?
rachous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Hiya, yes he is weeing and pooing as normal. eveything besides him being really quiet and not fussing about anything at all today is as usual. Thats why i dont know wether or not to get the vet out.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Our pup had the same opp when he was aged approx 7 mths. He was opperated on on the Saturday came home on the Sunday (as vet said he was doing really well) and was back to his normal self by Monday but had to take it easy for two wks because of the stitches etc. Hope this helps?????
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:59 PM
ps as he is eating maybe he is just a bit saw etc and feeling sorry for himself?? when is he due back at the vets????
rachous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi, well he had his last check up last thursday and she said he doesnt need to go back unless we are really worried about him. So thats why not sure what to do???? p.s. he had to go in friday as he was really ill had to have a drip overnight to try and get his strength up, then had op and was allowed home monday aft, we kept him quiet and out of noise, jumping etc until his 2nd check up which was on the thursday after op and, we were told he could come out to play for 20 mins every 2 hours, then at his last op she said to let him be "normal" now.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:06 PM
hiya rach sorry to hear about your little dog perhaps hes just not feeling himself we all get our ups and down days maybe hes sore and thats why hes not interested if theres no change tomorrow phone your vet and explain to them and see what they say
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Awwwww, It was a lot for the little one to go through. If the main signs are ok. I am sure all he just needs more TLC and might just be talking more time to recover.

For peace of mind, could check his temp as a sign of any possible infection.

Min xxx
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

Of course if you are worried (you know him best and are actually there) go to the vets. But as a general rule if the food is going in and out ok a puppy is normaly alright, can you tell his temperature at all?

Just keep a close eye on him

Is he teething yet?
rachous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi well i have one of those digital thermometer's for the kids but i darent go putting it up his bum(excuse me) incase i dont do it right or hurt him, is there any other way i could take his temp, and do you think i should call vet out or wait until tomorrow?????
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >