Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2017, 03:04 PM

How will I know?

Good morning,

I would like to ask a question regarding my dear boy Copper. How will I know when it is time to put him to sleep? I know this is a positively morbid question. I will also post on Breedia as well. Thank you for any insight.
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2017, 03:19 PM
Oh, for those of you who don't know, Copper is an 11 year old lab/greyhound mix who was diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy a few days ago. Thank you.
Dachshundmom89
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2017, 06:18 PM
I don't think anyone knows, it's certainly something I don't like thinking about and would rather not do only because in my opinion who am I to take away a life? But I do understand why people consider it. I don't want my beloved dog to suffer any more than he would want me.

But you'll know in your heart when it's time if you choose to make that decision.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2017, 02:33 PM
It will be in the dogs eyes when he has had enough and is tired of life and is struggling. You'll know then. But never let a dog suffer unnecessarily because of your own selfish wish to keep them alive.
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Update: Copper is not improving. The vet told us he wouldn't but I was hoping. He is looking tired lately and struggles to play as he used to. He just falls over when he tries to do the "play bow". I love him very much and I feel the time is near. Thank you for your words of wisdom.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Sadly I lost my Geman Shepherd with this. You will know when the time is right but don't prolong it. For your sake and your dog be kind to him and his needs. I feel for you, the decision is a hard one but not when it means relieving their suffering. Bless you for your asking. Never an easy question?