View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Corinthian
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-08-2011, 06:20 AM
To the Millan crowd "works" has a way different meaning that to a real dog trainers. To them it means, momentary management/suppression via an aversive.

It's usually something like "Fido doesn't do X anymore, when he does (negating the first claim) all we have to do is jerk/tap/touch/etc." Which to me, it means it doesn't work, but if you tell them that, they get upset.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Does the Tssting work , or do you have to repeat it
?
If someone sits in the back of the pick-up with him he does not bark and when he is on his own I doubt he can even hear a Tsst! So no it does not work any ideas?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
I have the problem of one of my dogs barking at cars when he is in the back of my truck. How do I teach him not to bark without Tssting him when he does it?
If someone sits in the back of the pick-up with him he does not bark and when he is on his own I doubt he can even hear a Tsst! So no it does not work any ideas?
Ahh difficult is he has to be on his own to bark
You could just park up somewhere where he will be able to see trucks but at a distance that he dosent feel the need to bark to them and praise him and give him something yummy every tme he sees a truck- of example if you had a nice spot you could drive out there, park up and hand feed his dinner for a wee while

- I dont know the setup of the truck to know if it is possible tho - another option is to just drive out with a good book and let him watch the trucks go bye

When he seems less tense at that distance then I would get a little closer

Also if possible when you are not practising this then stop him seeing out the truck
I found Mia much calmer with life in general now I transport her in a covered crate

The problem with 'tssting' is you dont know WHY he is barking at them - if he is scared and wanting them to get away then pssting will make him more scared
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Its because u havnt paired the 'tssst' with a certain torture device
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Ahh difficult is he has to be on his own to bark
You could just park up somewhere where he will be able to see trucks but at a distance that he dosent feel the need to bark to them and praise him and give him something yummy every tme he sees a truck- of example if you had a nice spot you could drive out there, park up and hand feed his dinner for a wee while

- I dont know the setup of the truck to know if it is possible tho - another option is to just drive out with a good book and let him watch the trucks go bye

When he seems less tense at that distance then I would get a little closer

Also if possible when you are not practising this then stop him seeing out the truck
I found Mia much calmer with life in general now I transport her in a covered crate

The problem with 'tssting' is you dont know WHY he is barking at them - if he is scared and wanting them to get away then pssting will make him more scared
That might work, giving him chicken every time one goes past and he does not bark. He sees other cars etc as a threat. He only does it within a mile radius from home so it is a territorial thing also - the nearer to home the more aggressive the barking. Far away, no barking!
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
To the Millan crowd "works" has a way different meaning that to a real dog trainers. To them it means, momentary management/suppression via an aversive.

It's usually something like "Fido doesn't do X anymore, when he does (negating the first claim) all we have to do is jerk/tap/touch/etc." Which to me, it means it doesn't work, but if you tell them that, they get upset.
great observation and so true! I found raising your voice stops a behaviour only and after about a year they finally learn not to do it. Totally ineffective.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
Its because u havnt paired the 'tssst' with a certain torture device
Do you roll your eyes at people in person?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Do you roll your eyes at people in person?
Depends...why? What has that got to do with anything?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 11:59 AM

pssting (I thought) is accompanied by a stiff finger jab - or if off camera, an electric shock.
Otherwise you might as well say hippo, or gooseberry.
I`ve never heard a wolf go pssst so I don`t know why Mr M uses it- in my experience it`s limited to spivs with dodgy gear in dark alleys trying to get your attention... but there, I`m not a TV personality so what do I know.
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Pssting is just his version of the 'Ah-ah!' sound, or the interrupter or whatever you want to call it. He also adds a fingersnap after the first tssting doesn't work. The jab comes when neither of those are working (or when the dog is about to pounce already, past growling and stiffening or whatever.)

At least that's how I interpreted it. :shrug:

Anyone seen the South Park episode where CM 'rehabilitates' Eric Cartman?
Page 47 of 49 « First < 37 44 45 46 47 48 49 >