Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Please don't shop on Boxing Day.

Does anyone that shops on Boxing Day ever stop to think that if they did'nt, the shops would not open and then the workers could spend some time home with their family.

I do not not on Bank Hols although I know many who have to and it is not a choice they have to, so that is why I would never shop on a Bank Holiday.

Thoughts?
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Does anyone that shops on Boxing Day ever stop to think that if they did'nt, the shops would not open and then the workers could spend some time home with their family.

I do not not on Bank Hols although I know many who have to and it is not a choice they have to, so that is why I would never shop on a Bank Holiday.

Thoughts?
I worked today, first time we have ever opened on Boxing Day and with the way things are our jobs could depend on people spending money. I volunteered BTW as it is usually my weekend off.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-12-2010, 07:02 PM
If you don't mine working thats fine, but I know of several people with small children that had too. Christmas is very short as it is another day for them would be nice.

I used to work all christmas when I was a cook in a nursing home but when I had a baby I decided that is not what I wanted anymore, but some people don't have a choice.

The thought of cooking a three course for 100 fills me with dread now ha ha
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 07:04 PM
The economy is pretty dire at the moment.

Many retailers were counting on todays sales...

I went out to Sainsburys - not to do any shopping, but I wanted to go out. Had a look around, brought a couple of bits.

I guess it is up to the individuals. Many people have to work on bank holidays....never really bothered me.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 07:06 PM
OH and I shopped today, it's the only chance we'll get, he's shooting all this week. He works 7 days a week, most of the year, so if he gets the opportunity to go shopping, then we take it!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
If you don't mine working thats fine, but I know of several people with small children that had too. Christmas is very short as it is another day for them would be nice.

I used to work all christmas when I was a cook in a nursing home but when I had a baby I decided that is not what I wanted anymore, but some people don't have a choice.

The thought of cooking a three course for 100 fills me with dread now ha ha
That used to be my sister She works at a school now!

I volunteered because my daughter had plans to visit her BF parents today and the person who should have worked it has a large extended family. We did get double pay and time off in lieu so it's not all bad!
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Double pay and time off you are lucky.

Just single time and a kick up the bum here ha ha......

Not me though festive fun and merriment.

I do think of the staff in shops but I suppose most people don't if you watched selfridges open this morning ha ha. [on the news]
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I was a nurse for 25yrs so I suppose I dont think of days off as we had to work them all , but I do agree we need to have some time where the shops just dont open ! Spose the other thing is my sons GF, a student was real happy to get double time over Xmas and earn some money
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I'd have worked for double pay and a day in lieu today if I could have done but they wouldn't approve it! I bet many people feel the same, too, regardless of where they work. (I don't work in a shop, btw).

Not everyone wants today off to spend with family, they might're preferred/needed the extra money and time off.

I'm off tomorrow and Tues and next Mon and Tues but, again, I'd rather work it and get double time (because I need the money) and time off later on when it suited me. Whether they let us next week or not, who knows!

ETA: Plus the shops being open give people an excuse/reason to get out the house away from family for a morning/afternoon/day.

Many people do have to work weekends/bank holidays such as nurses, care worked, Police etc and that's just the way it is. In certain jobs, you just don't have the choice and have to work it.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 08:18 PM
When I was working I worked full time & also on call up 6pm to 10pm weekdays & 9am to 10pm weekends/bank holidays every third week & I worked Xmas most years including Xmas Day & New Years Day.

My friends are farmers & they work 365 days a year.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »