Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2007, 05:30 PM

Irritated after spaying - any suggestions

My bitch Taz was spayed today and they gave me a collar to put on her if she licks her wounds, which she started as soon as we got in, so i put it on her and she keeps scratching trying to get it off and is getting all wound up, they said for her to rest for next 2 weeks which she aint gonna be doing if shes aggitated about the collar. Can anyone suggest anything, poor little sod i think id be pee'd off to if i had to walk round with a lampshade on my head
rachous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:21 AM
15 views and no answer
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:23 AM
do you think she would bite the wound if she didn't have the lampshade on ? or would she just lick it in a feel sorry for herself plea

( sorry didnt see the post )
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Sorry but I have no idea what to say, Zuba posted a thread a while back when her dogs spay went a bit wrong and i think she posted then that she put some sort of babygro or something on the dog. Do a search and see if you can find it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:25 AM
There isn't much to say, if she is going to irritate her wound then she has to wear the collar unfortunately. The alternative is to cover the wound. I remember one person using an old swimming costume with a hole cut for the tail which prevented the dog from licking her wounds so maybe that might be an alternative. Can't see that wearing a swimsuit is an odder than a lampshade!
Becky
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

11-01-2007, 11:34 AM
That's more or less what I was thinking of Becky, the lampshade can be a bit of a pain for many reasons, like getting stuck on door frames etc. I used to just take it off and get them to leave it alone, and only put the lampshade on when I couldn't watch them. I think you just have to use your imagination as to what you could cover the wound with, a kids old t-shirt or similar knotted to make it snug.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:47 AM
I also believe their are collars that prevent the dog from bending it's neck, like a neck brace but I think they are very expensive.
Becky
Meg
Supervisor

11-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi Rachaus once you bitch gets used to the collar it won't be so bad. As long as you are watching her every second you could leave the collar off some of the time.
Do you have a kong ? This may help to distract her.

For small spayed bitches I buy rolls of mesh cotton dish cloth from the hardwear shop, it is tubular, stretches and can be cut to various lengths and discarded once worn, being cotton it is a none irritant .
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:49 AM
http://www.hyperdrug.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NECKBRACE
That's what I was thinking of! Apologies if not allowed to post this link.
Becky