Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DaleCooper
New Member!
Female 

09-09-2017, 08:06 AM

How can I make her feel loved?

Hi everyone!
As the weather became awful and the rain is falling every single day my dog seems to be a little depressed. It's all about we both are keen on long strolls. The longer is the walk the happier we are. Unfortunately, now we really don't have an opportunity to enjoy walking together. That's why I'm seeking some fancy activities that we can do at home. Do you have any ideas (except of giving her some treats as she's already a bit overweight)? I'm afraid that it's not simple because my doggie completely isn't interested in toys and typical dog games. Perhaps it's caused by her age - she's 12 years old. Of course I stroke her etc. but I think it's not enough to cheer her up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Get a raincoat for your dog? And one for yourself maybe?
DaleCooper
New Member!
Female 

09-09-2017, 05:29 PM
We both have raincoats. My dog doesn't want to walk in the rain - that's why our walks are brief. I know it may sound weird, but that's true - I have a finicky and very stubborn dog.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
We both have raincoats. My dog doesn't want to walk in the rain - that's why our walks are brief. I know it may sound weird, but that's true - I have a finicky and very stubborn dog.
Ours is OK.... once gets his nose out the door Then he'll do his usual miles - with me as an accessory.
Pitrescuemama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Do you have a friend with a dog she gets along with? If so ask them over to visit or go visit them. You both would enjoy the company. Since she don't like toys maybe when you give her treats you could hide them and make her find them. Or teach her a new trick or two exercise her mind a little. Use her kibble instead of treats if you want.
I don't know if you drive or not but Otis LOVES to go on rides. I know that's not something you can do at home just an idea!
I had a dog I fostered he hated storms so much I had to cover a tarp with newspaper in the corner of my attached garage for him to use the bathroom on when it was storming. He loved toys, and playing, so he was easy to keep happy though!
Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2017, 02:20 PM
FWIW we have a little game that gets our dog interested/occupied for a while. We buy pre-cooked diced frozen chicken. We hide small pieces of it in the house and garden then tell him to find them.

Or he sometimes gets them as a special treat. Now that might lure DaleCooper's dog out when it's raining.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Amber is getting lazy as I am as I get older. My son taught her how to find and this morning we had a find session where I hide her ball and she finds it. She enjoys it, but you could always change the hide object to suit the game.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2017, 07:19 PM
Evening all.
Long walks today.
The result.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
I have one of them.Won't go for a pee if its as much as spitting outside
Markie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2017, 03:10 PM
I understand what your saying my huskies hate rain they will only go to the bathroom and they high tail their butts back inside. LOL ���� What I do is I have a basement they stay down there and play and sleep as a pack of course I'm in there usually will take a nap with them once they all go to sleep. Maybe try finding a friend for her so she can still play on rainy days and get that energy out