Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks Tang
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 04:35 PM
That was quick and what a huge relief that the insurance have given the go ahead. Everything crossed that the MRI goes well and her results show nothing abnormal.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Nice to hear something POSITIVE about pet insurance too.

Current moggy has cost me hundreds in the past week or so. But nothing compared with what it would have cost to keep ALL my cats insured all their long legged lives. A fraction of what it would have cost.

I think it's always so very sad that it is often those who can't afford the expensive bills should they come in unexpectedly that have to stump up for the very expensive insurance and then hope against hope that they will agree to pay.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Good news the MRI is covered, maybe completely irrelevant input but my friend had a couple of fits at work ....which the hospital diagnosed as epilepsy but the second time it happened we pushed for answers it turned out to be an underlying illness which had caused high potassium levels just wondered if this could also happen in dogs especially as it has happened at age 9 . Hope the tests go well x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your daugher's dog's seizure.

I think if it's idiopathic it usually shows itself when the dog is young. Loki was either 15 or 17 months (I can't remember which now).

In an older dog it could be as a result of some trauma or perhaps a toxin?

Or unfortunately something like a brain tumour could bring on a fit and this is where the MRI would help to find out if it was this. But you need to think about what you would do if it were a brain tumour, as regards any possible treatment and risks. Also the MRI itself has risks because the dog is anaesthetised for it. Loss of coordination can be another indication of tumour but I should say that after a number of fits, Loki displays the kind of knuckle dragging you mention but it does go back to normal.

There can be other diseases that can cause seizures, such as kidney disease so blood tests might help identify any problems.

I hope you can get to the bottom of it. All you can do during the fit is support the dog's head so it doesn't bang on a hard floor. Afterwards, if the dog is confused and crying there isn't much you can do other than comfort, keep any loud sounds to a minimum and try to keep things she might stumble over out of the way. You can offer some food and water but watch out for loss of bite control so mind your fingers. The only thing that helps calm Loki during this period is food, stroking and calm reassurance but it can take a while and doesn't 100% calm him.

I wish you and your daughter all the hope and luck in the world that this is a one-off. Maybe she got over-heated or something?
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

27-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
Hi Rose,

Thanks for your input am I reading it right that Loki once took 40 fits in two days!?! Gosh you must have been beside yourself

We are keeping everything crossed that she doesn't have any more.

Helena - My old Saluki X had one seizure years ago just after we moved house, she was hugely stressed at the time so I think that might have brought it on, she never had another. Scared me to death!

It's so hard to watch them knowing they can't tell you anything
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I remember the occasion with Rose's Loki, she was hospitalised for a couple of days, absolute miracle they brought her round again in my opinion.

That's correct June. Loki took 40 on one occasion and 39 on another. Hospitalised both times for them and it was, as June has rightly said, it was a miracle that they brought her round. The Vets Now (they were the emergency vets for Loki's vet) told me to expect the worst. She was transferred on a drip next day to her vet and was kept in for two days, I think it was. She rallied round like the trooper she was though.

Loki was 11 months old when she took her first fit.

Her fits came under control when she was put on a high dosage of Phenobarbitones and then added Potassium Bromide as well.

I had loads of support from Dogsey, especially June and Linda and all who were on Dogsey back then. I don't know how I would have coped without all the supportive messages and advice I received.

I hope your daughter will get good news and no more of whatever it was, if it wasn't a fit.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2014, 08:54 AM
So far so good, nothing since 6.30 yesterday morning. Here's hoping it's a one off xx

Lorniec - I will mention the Potassium thing to my daughter, you never know

Lucky Star - She had a couple of blood tests recently as she has been showing signs of pain and stress, the blood tests all came back normal so they attributed her behavior to Arthritis in her hips (which she does have)

Thanks for all your input guys as always Dogsey can be a really valuable resource when you need it
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Very sad to announce the loss of Asha today, after getting gradually much worse over the week she began to collapse as well as seizure and began to lose cognitive . My daughter and her partner took the difficult decision to let her go.
Sleep well our friend you will be sorely missed xxxx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-05-2014, 08:01 PM
The poor girl. Run free darling
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2014, 08:21 PM
I am so desperately sorry to hear that Asha lost her fight against The Monster, and my heart is breaking.

Please pass on my sincerest condolences to your daughter and her partner and thank them for me for having given their girl peace.

Run free beautiful Asha - run free as fast as you can, and take with you all our love xx
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >