View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm sorry if I'm speaking out of turn here but this decision all sound a bit drastic and a bit rushed.

I met someone who had a few issues with the first leg but after the second one was done and she knew more of what to expect second time round, the dog was such much better and she followed it up with physio and hydro after 7 weeks. Maybe this is something to think about first?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
It would seem from what others have said that having the second op will sort the problem. Also from what I read when googling about it. Bit like having one knee go on you and having it fixed and then having the other one go. You won't be RIGHT until both are sorted.
This sounds very familiar with people I've spoken to who have been in the same situation. The dog was never right or settled until the other leg was sorted out.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. The house is so quiet without my wee man. Could hardly sleep last night without him by my side.

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I'm sorry if I'm speaking out of turn here but this decision all sound a bit drastic and a bit rushed.
I don't have to justify my decision to anyone. However, be assured this certainly wasn't a decision that was rushed into. You don't know my dog.

He was a live wire and had spent the majority of this last year in a crate. 20 min walks would leave him hopping on three legs in the evenings and he needed painkillers most days. He had arthritis in both hips as well as the first knee. And yet he still wanted to keep going.

When the other leg went on Friday he could barely hold himself up at all. Constantly the back end collapsing. Hobbling around using the first leg which clearly wasn't able for it. This was all basically down to misdiagnoses by the first vet that seen and xrayed him and recommended continued rest for a "strain". It wasn't till the second vet seen him that he was properly diagnosed and treated.

It would have been selfish and cruel to put him through a second op, more pain and suffering, just so we could have him with us a bit longer. He was a dog that liked to live fast and be active. It was more than clear he would hardly be able to function normally and without pain. Our vet agreed with our decision.

Don't judge me, or the decision I made for the good of my dog without ever having met us. He was a very much treasured part of this family and we are all devastated that we have had to let him go. But we are safe in the knowledge that we did the very BEST FOR HIM.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Run free without pain sweet Elroy xx

So sorry Evie for you and your family(( hugs))
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2013, 02:16 PM
No need to be so offended or rude, I was only just trying to help both you and your dog by giving as much advice as I possibly could having been through the same thing, as I've always done on your posts regarding this issue. I know now not to bother again.

Run free and happy, Elroy.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Run free without pain sweet Elroy xx

So sorry Evie for you and your family(( hugs))
Thank you Eileen. x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-09-2013, 03:33 PM
So very sorry Evie (((hugs)))

Run free Elroy lad, run free as fast as you can xx
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
So very sorry Evie (((hugs)))

Run free Elroy lad, run free as fast as you can xx
Thank you Malka.x
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Aw Evie, you must be devastated (((((hugs)))))) and as you so rightly said, Elroy could only take so much and you made the decision you did for his benefit and not yours.

Run free Elroy, run free.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Aw Evie, you must be devastated (((((hugs)))))) and as you so rightly said, Elroy could only take so much and you made the decision you did for his benefit and not yours.

Run free Elroy, run free.
Thank you Jenny. x
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >