Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
You were quick to suggest Snorri moved house in order to help with his mobility problems, maybe you could suggest to your friends that object to working bank holidays etc that they need to think about changing jobs?
Someone seems a little out of touch with real life.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 01:33 AM
My husband was a shopfitter for the same company for 22 years and got made redundant due to the recession new years eve 2008, he'd kill to work anywhere anytime.
what a narrow minded attitude you seem to have, as I commented early in my local to the bar manager who was moaning about having to work Christmas day, "it's your job get over it".
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2010, 05:41 AM
the real question should be why would someone want to waste boxing day trawling around shops
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 07:24 AM
I actually agree...I think it's a shame loads of shops were open yesterday...I remember when most shops would have been closed this Christmas for 4 days because fo the Bank Holidays. I used to like that, the fact that you had no choice but to stay in with family. I used to like it when shops weren't open on a Sunday too...people had nothing to do so would be in the house and do things with family. It's a real shame we have lost that.( I do try not to shop on Sundays but sometimes it's hard!!!!)
I have NO intention of going anywhere near a shop for a fair few days yet!

My OH had to work on Christmas night...out at 5.30 in at 9.30 the following morning. We were lucky he was granted Christmas Eve night off otherwise he would have been out then too.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
That is why I feel you should not shop...lol.

As for doctors etc they don't for for greed like the shop owners they could be saving someones life.
No, not greed but survival. They have a business to run so I wouldn't call it greedy.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
No, not greed but survival. They have a business to run so I wouldn't call it greedy.
In fairness Tesco won't go bust if they don't open on Boxing Day...and it is major stores like that opening that has driven the need for smaller retail outlets to do the same...
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Some people are quite happy to work days like boxing day .
Unfortunately not everyone is having a fabulous time surrounded by friends and family
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Some people are quite happy tp work days like boxing day .
Unfortunately not everyone is having a fabulous time surrounded by friends and family
I am aware of that and have spent a Christmas Day on my own when my OH had to work.
I just don't think shops should be open...my opinion...I like it when they are closed, makes it all feel more special. Christmas to me, isn't about going out shopping on Boxing Day...but then given I HATE shopping...
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I actually agree...I think it's a shame loads of shops were open yesterday...I remember when most shops would have been closed this Christmas for 4 days because fo the Bank Holidays. I used to like that, the fact that you had no choice but to stay in with family. I used to like it when shops weren't open on a Sunday too...people had nothing to do so would be in the house and do things with family. It's a real shame we have lost that.( I do try not to shop on Sundays but sometimes it's hard!!!!)
I have NO intention of going anywhere near a shop for a fair few days yet!

My OH had to work on Christmas night...out at 5.30 in at 9.30 the following morning. We were lucky he was granted Christmas Eve night off otherwise he would have been out then too.
Dear god.

Thank god the shops are opened on Sundays etc now so that people who really don't want to do this, have an excuse not to! Many people can't think of anything worse!

Not everyone lives in big, happy clappy families or wishes to spend a large amount of time with them.

I actually wanted my grandparents (who I live it) to go down to their daughters for Christmas and New Year - they wouldn't have any of it! I'd rather have been on my own with the dogs over Christmas and New Year (in between working) - I'd have been in my element!

Peace and quiet with just me and the dogs = perfect!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Some people are quite happy to work days like boxing day .
Yes, me for one if they allowed us to!

Many people need the money and need the jobs.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »