View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Then there are the lab technicians and doctors and various other jobs in hospitals and on call domestic emergency services such as plumbers.....
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 08:43 PM
It's another working day for a lot of people not just for shops. The shops will be depending on the income like the rest of the country.

Supply and demand. If there was no demand for it, I'm sure they wouldn't open.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Wilko's said they'd be open today - they LIED! we did a bit of sale shopping me and the M - in law but didn't find much - have to wait til January...
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 08:49 PM
And some of us have all the bank holidays taken out of our annual holiday entitlement - personally I would like bank holidays banned and to get my holidays when I want them.

I know many people in this situation and many who have to work (police and fire persons). So can't agree with the cry not to shop !
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Does anyone that shops on Boxing Day ever stop to think that if they did'nt, the shops would not open and then the workers could spend some time home with their family.

I do not not on Bank Hols although I know many who have to and it is not a choice they have to, so that is why I would never shop on a Bank Holiday.

Thoughts?
My thought is you're a bit late posting this ........

Perhaps you should consider making posts like this a little earlier?

...and yes, I did shop!

DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Shops are there to offer a service if you work in a shop, you to are there to offer a service

I help out at a wildlife hospital - the same job needs doing no matter the time of year - and I am sure its no different for most other jobs.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
It's another working day for a lot of people not just for shops. The shops will be depending on the income like the rest of the country.

Supply and demand. If there was no demand for it, I'm sure they wouldn't open
That is why I feel you should not shop...lol.

As for doctors etc they don't for for greed like the shop owners they could be saving someones life.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I help out at a wildlife hospital - the same job needs doing no matter the time of year - and I am sure its no different for most other jobs.
Yep - and how about farmers with livestock? There's no such thing as a day off for them. A hundred years ago only the rich & wealthy could afford to have time off at Christmas. While it's good that fewer people are forced to work over the holiday, there are some professions will never enjoy that luxury.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Farm workers klnow it is a 24/7 job..

When some people started work in a shop they had every Sunday and Bank Hols off now it has gradually creeped in and they are working all of it against there will.

I know they could change jobs.

I just think it is greed.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Well, how about, in this economic climate, the shops NEED to stay open on holidays in order to survive? That's not greed, that's ensuring the staff have a job for the following year.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »