Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Dogs have got much stronger digestive systems than humans so can tolerate infected food much better than we can, I would say to make a dog ill it would need to receive a high dose or have a compromised immune system.

One of the main culprits of Campylobacter is raw chicken, freezing does not kill the bacteria only cooking does.
As I have said before this is one of the reasons I don't like the BARF diet not really from the dogs point of view but because of the cross contamination within the house to floors/surfaces and of course the dogs mouth (worse if you have a bearded breed) .Most BARF feeder tell me they feed the meat outside so it is safe, I would be really worried about feeding things like raw chickens wings if I had a baby or weak elderly person in the house.
One thing people could do who feed raw is use a sheet like I do, I just put down a big sheet in the kitchen, no food that the dogs have leaves the sheet and I supervise them while they eat, they are so used to the sheet now that they don't even attempt to take food away from it. When they are done it goes straight in the wash. I clean surfaces and hands when I prepare food for them as I do in the preparation of our own food.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3