View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 02:38 PM
it would say a lot about their judging if they did 'swing one way or another' Deccy, cos you (should) judge more than the tail (or lack of)!

thandi,
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 02:50 PM
it would say a lot about their judging if they did 'swing one way or another' Deccy, cos you (should) judge more than the tail (or lack of)!
Yes quite. There appears to be some strange judging here sometimes and obvious prejudices. For example, one judge at a Champ show would not put up any liver Dalmatians regardless of quality (one was a Ch and got slung) as he "didn't like livers". I remember seeing a long coated Weimerarner at an Open, with a full tail, getting BOB. I was pleased for the exhibitor who had been put down so many times because her dog had a tail, but finally there was a judge who, as you say, looked at the whole picture.
As exhibitors apparently had the option not to dock before, I presume that the breed standards already cater for this?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 02:53 PM
The breed standards in the UK have changed from Tradtionally Docked to Previously Docked (or somehting like that) now lol!
Becky
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 03:01 PM
the standards have been changed for some time, to include undocked dogs.

I am a bit confused re your Long Haired Weim comment, as they are undocked?
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
In vallhunds, we had our first full tailed champion some years ago - from vetran, our second was crowned at Darlington this year.

We will never have 100% full tails in the ring as around 40% are born with natural stumps but a lot of the breeders stopped docking some years ago so we would get an idea of what our tailsets and carriage would be like.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Either I misunderstood what was said at the time, or don't remember it clearly, it was about 7 years ago! I am not up to speed on docked breeds
IJF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I guess the "problem" is that no-one knows what the tails will be like, as the parents are docked

Is there a breed standard for tails in traditionally docked breeds?
You could look at the FCI standards or some of the European standards. Plenty of tailed Boxers, Dobermanns and Rottweilers to see in Germany since 2000.
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2007, 04:57 PM
our Dotty has a tail and will be in the ring in a few months time, she carries it really nicely which was one of the reasons we chose her. I have seen a few mini schnauzers in the ring over the last few months with tails, many different carriages too so be interesting to see if they set a standard.
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2007, 05:29 PM
I saw a GSP puppy at Darlington with a full tail she did well qualified the puppy for crufts
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 05:36 PM
When i judges i just put my hand where the tail would approximatly end that helps to see the tail set
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »