Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
As a judge I really dislike judging a single dog in a class. The amount of times that it has got back to me that someone's said I liked their dog as I gave it a first - it was the only one there!! LOL It's OK if it's a decent dog but writing a constructive critique on an awful dog is really hard work!

Debs
Surely if the dog is that awful, the placing should be withheld?

Personally I'd prefer the competition, but there's not a lot you can do if no one else enters is there?
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 03:14 AM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Obviously would prefer some competition, but if not as Rachel says the judge is entitled to withhold, I have seen this happen at a Champ show but never at an Open Show.

I too take every placing as a well earned one.
So have I.
Even at a few Royals which are big ones here, to be able to brag that you got a CC or even better BOB at a Royal is something to be proud of. So you really hear the screams if for what ever reason the judge withholds a CC
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 06:07 AM
At a recent Champ show here, both Bitch awards were withheld so no ticket or Reserve...... the dogs were ok but the puppy got the reserve (I think) there were only two dogs out of the whole entry that had the necessary grading.
The lesson? Don't take an Irish Dalmatian to Finland (Finnish judge)
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Surely if the dog is that awful, the placing should be withheld?
Yes at a Ch show they would be withheld. However, I'm not sure I'd withhold at an Open show for anything other than aggression or illness (unless the dog was REALLY bad!), so therefore you have to write a critique. I'm not one for the 'nice head, moved well' type of crit because that means nothing and the judge may as well not bother, so it means trying put across that the dog isn't up to standard but in a nice way - no point in being rude.

Debs
Gaspode
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:43 AM
If a 1st place is awarded at an Open show, and it is a class of one, does that win count towards your total wins when considering whether you can enter a particular class or not? ie: Novice, my friend thinks not, but I am not sure!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:57 AM
It would still be classed as a win, I don't think there is a requirement for the number of dogs in a class but you wouldn't get any JW or ShCM points as I'm pretty certain you have to have competion for that.
Have heard one breeder persuaded all her pet puppy buyers to bring their dogs to a show so that the numbers were made up to get her points and guess what happened, yep, the pet puppies won lol!
Becky
Gaspode
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:59 AM
That's very good.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Yes at a Ch show they would be withheld. However, I'm not sure I'd withhold at an Open show for anything other than aggression or illness (unless the dog was REALLY bad!), so therefore you have to write a critique. I'm not one for the 'nice head, moved well' type of crit because that means nothing and the judge may as well not bother, so it means trying put across that the dog isn't up to standard but in a nice way - no point in being rude.

Debs
I was on a committee and that night had dinner with the judges I had ask one Judge why she didn't nil award three bitches and this was a champ show, and her replied shocked me. She had picked the best of the worst, I would rather have a judge nil award then say that
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gaspode View Post
If a 1st place is awarded at an Open show, and it is a class of one, does that win count towards your total wins when considering whether you can enter a particular class or not? ie: Novice, my friend thinks not, but I am not sure!
Well I have always included it and would say that it does count! Not sure there is a rule anywhere saying that 1st place provided that min. of 3 dogs in the class. The exceptions are in min. puppy/puppy classes that these aren't included in counts to be out of novice.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 01:12 PM
!st place does count for winning out of classes, even if alone. Doesn't count towards points though.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >