Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jojo-eena
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2007, 01:50 PM

1st Ringcraft class

OK, so I went along - I have never done any showing (except the horse type) so everything was new and not to mention a bit scary !
I was told straight away that he needed to put some weight on (which I knew, he has dropped quiet a bit this week as another growth spurt takes hold - hope he stops growing soon as otherwise he'll be the size of an elephant !) anyway I can not just chuck loads of food down him as it upsets his stomach so have to increase really slowly which doesn't help when he drops sooo fast !
They lent me a lead as mine was not suitable and gave me some different bait (as mine was not suitable - can you see a trend yet ? ) then he did what he's been taught to do when confronted with a titbit, SAT !
Some of them were very kind and showed me what I should do which I really appreciated and I have been practising, thankfully he learns very quickly
It was quite daunting but we will perservere, and we will go back again (i've even ordered a show lead so we can half look the part next week !) and we will go to our first show eventually
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I've got the same problem as you! Wilson sits everytime I take out a tidbit lol! Don't worry you'll both get used to it!
Becky
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Oh God I was going to start with Ivan in a few weeks. Its sounds really really scary. I want to show for a bit of fun and definitely won't take it seriously but most of the shows I have been to the people are sooooo serious it is very daunting. As soon as I produce any treat like yummies Ivan will sit without even being asked. So what were the words of wisdom imparted to you to sort this out?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi Guys - I remember those first weeks were really hard and remember we all started somewhere!

My boy was the same - sit when stop etc. sit when offered treat! But they will soon get the hang of it - I promise!

Just have fun!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Oh God I was going to start with Ivan in a few weeks. Its sounds really really scary. I want to show for a bit of fun and definitely won't take it seriously but most of the shows I have been to the people are sooooo serious it is very daunting. As soon as I produce any treat like yummies Ivan will sit without even being asked. So what were the words of wisdom imparted to you to sort this out?
You want to teach a stand basically so it may be that you need to either encourage him out of the sit by moving the titbit slowly away but getting him to follow with his nose or put a hand to support him under his belly whilst holding the titbit in the other (this is a bit trickier - need an extra hand sometimes). Whilst they are standing I say Stand - good stand good stand - start off just a second and build up to longer!

Another tip get them used to being 'handled' i.e. feeling them all over - I again teach parts of the body as I do this. Once you have a solid stand then do this whilst standing - either yourself or by someone else.

Hope this is helpful!

It'll be fun - promise!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:47 PM
its really interesting reading this. Myself and jess have gone to 5 classes now. Started off quite good supported her under belly and she stood quite nice. Then it all went wrong last week she sat and does every time i try and practice.

Its funny but i suppose we will get there at some point. Jess can go in the ring in april - how scary is that

Any other tips really welcome!!!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
You want to teach a stand basically so it may be that you need to either encourage him out of the sit by moving the titbit slowly away but getting him to follow with his nose or put a hand to support him under his belly whilst holding the titbit in the other (this is a bit trickier - need an extra hand sometimes). Whilst they are standing I say Stand - good stand good stand - start off just a second and build up to longer!

Another tip get them used to being 'handled' i.e. feeling them all over - I again teach parts of the body as I do this. Once you have a solid stand then do this whilst standing - either yourself or by someone else.

Hope this is helpful!

It'll be fun - promise!
Ooooh great tips. Off to practice right now
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:58 PM
I have started to teach my almost 9 week husky to show stand , if i have a titbit he will sit, when he does sit or goes to sit i make him move forward a bit , when hes stood up & nibbling at the treat i say STAND , it s startiing to work gradually, just need to keep persevereing with him.Here are a few pics of our attempts so far

good luck jojo eena.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
its really interesting reading this. Myself and jess have gone to 5 classes now. Started off quite good supported her under belly and she stood quite nice. Then it all went wrong last week she sat and does every time i try and practice.

Its funny but i suppose we will get there at some point. Jess can go in the ring in april - how scary is that

Any other tips really welcome!!!
Just take your time with her she will get there promise!

If necessary go back a step and back to the beginning as if she knew nothing!

Lots of quiet praise whilst she is in the stand I also give a release command to let them know ok to move! And once released lots of cuddles and praise!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah just got Ivan to stand. I had a titbit in my hand and just held it letting him lick it and continued to say "stand" woohoo Thanks for the advice guys and good luck to all those starting off too
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >