Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RileyMack214
New Member!
Female 

05-06-2014, 04:35 AM

Yikes!!! Puppy sleeping in pee... Help!

Okay so we got Riley about 5 weeks ago when she was 10 weeks old. Now almost 15 weeks old we are still having issues house breaking. There's more to the story though. About a week ago we discovered that Riley has a urinary tract infection. She's on an antibiotic now but it hasn't cleared up yet. So that shed just a little light on her peeing issues. She would pee in her crate sometimes even after only 15 minutes after we had brought her out to pee. But with a UTI that made a little sense. Then we would catch Riley going into her open crate during the day just to pee... and later have no problem laying and sleeping in it. Now today I bought her a bed. She seems to love it but then all of a sudden she pees on it, waits a few minutes, then wants to take a nap in it. I didn't think dogs liked sleeping in the same area as their urine? Is my puppy just trying to mark her areas? She's so confusing to me!! Can anyone possibly explain any of this?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Well she's very young and I wouldn't expect her to be reliably house trained at 15 weeks tbh and the uti won't have helped. They do odd things as puppies until they have a better understanding of what's expected. One of mine had a big soft bed in her crate and vet bed at one end and she used to use the bed as a toilet and slept on the vet bed. I had to remove the bed entirely wash everything and gave her fleece to sleep on instead and for some reason that made sense to her All you can do is lots of washing and carry on with taking her outside every hour, after eating, after play, after waking etc. and you will get there even though it doesn't feel like it at the moment. Hopefully the AB's will start to be effective soon and stop complicating matters.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Poor Riley , UTIs are painful .

The ABs are usually given for 10 days . If you think its not cleared up then go back to the vet and they should do a culture of the urine to see what bacteria it is and match the right ABs.
RileyMack214
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2014, 02:06 AM
Ya, her vet has her on clavamox for 14 days. We do see some improvement but she has some time to go. At this point, we are pretty sure she already had it when we got her so who knows how long she had it my pour pup! But the house breaking is going a lot better.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by RileyMack214 View Post
Ya, her vet has her on clavamox for 14 days. We do see some improvement but she has some time to go. At this point, we are pretty sure she already had it when we got her so who knows how long she had it my pour pup! But the house breaking is going a lot better.
Give her time, and perhaps put your mind in hers and remember that her pee was some sort of "home" to her before she came to you, so that, together with the UTI, perhaps gives her some comfort?