Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MargotG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2013, 01:39 PM

Advise for a newcomer?

Hey everybody,

So I've recently decided to take Mishka to a few companion dog shows and fun dog shows, however I do need some advise on what to do on the day.
I've picked out a few shows that are close-ish to me, and the first one will be on 24th March.

These are the classes we will be entering:
Best yearling (Bitch)
Best conditioned (Bitch)
Most appealing eyes
Best mover
Judge's choice

And possibly:
Best matching brace (With a friend's Siberian Husky)
Dog most like its owner (Don't really what its about)

I'd really appreciate any advise you can give me on how to make sure everything goes smoothly, and possibly a placing

Mishka is a one year old Siberian Husky bitch.
Maybe these pictures may help?

Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Ah! She's beautiful!

My top tip for this kind of show is don't take it too seriously! Remember that they are just for fun, the judging will depend entirely on what that particular judge has a thing for, it is usually pretty random as you'll be competing with every size, shape, breed and xbreed! And any kid's handling have the cute factor so you won't stand a chance against them.

She'll get points for being friendly so if she likes meeting new people and is comfortable being fussed by strangers that will go a long way.

Dog most like it's owner is just that - the dog that looks most like it's owner, so either dress up to look like a Husky or dress her up to look like you!

But if she isn't placed just remember the judge was blind and you're taking the best dog home! I was most offended when one of my Affens only got 3rd in the scruffiest dog class. We were robbed, but my daughter still has the rosette proudly displayed in her bedroom.
MargotG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Ah! She's beautiful!

My top tip for this kind of show is don't take it too seriously! Remember that they are just for fun, the judging will depend entirely on what that particular judge has a thing for, it is usually pretty random as you'll be competing with every size, shape, breed and xbreed! And any kid's handling have the cute factor so you won't stand a chance against them.

She'll get points for being friendly so if she likes meeting new people and is comfortable being fussed by strangers that will go a long way.

Dog most like it's owner is just that - the dog that looks most like it's owner, so either dress up to look like a Husky or dress her up to look like you!

But if she isn't placed just remember the judge was blind and you're taking the best dog home! I was most offended when one of my Affens only got 3rd in the scruffiest dog class. We were robbed, but my daughter still has the rosette proudly displayed in her bedroom.
Aha that sounds exactly like something I would say!
Thank you for the infos, she is defenately friendly so that should be a bonus, if she behaves herself and not jump on the judge to lick his face

Oh the dog most like its owner does sound fun! I deffo have a few ideas for that!

Aw I think 3rd place is good, Id be happy with that lol, well done!
MargotG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Nothing else?
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2013, 08:15 PM
There was an advice thread in the showing section recently I'm sure... you could check there for more snippets of advice
MargotG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tessabelle View Post
There was an advice thread in the showing section recently I'm sure... you could check there for more snippets of advice
Thanks! I done and a lot of research on the internet since then and watched quite a few dog shows, I think I've got the main points sorted out, the rest will come with experience from both me and Mishka

We've since the post done our fun show debut:

And ended up with a 1st, a 2sd and a 4th, so I was very proud lol!
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Amazing! Well done to you and Mishka
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Congratulations on the placings Margot, you have a beautiful dog there.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Wow, congratulations to you both - what a result.
She's a stunning looking girl.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Your dog is so beautiful. And remember, any time she doesn't win it's because it WAS FIXED lol!

Just keep the FUN in mind and enjoy!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >