Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Molly has hurt her leg

On Sunday morning Molly was happy strolling along in the park and spotted a crow, which she went to chase and, in doing that, suddenly went over on her right, rear leg.

The result is she is not weight bearing on it.

As my vet was closed, I took her to a Companion Care vets within Pets at Home to have her looked at as she looked a bit miserable (I know the staff which is why I was happy taking her there and I knew they were open), instead of to the Glasgow Vet School which is our out of hours emergency vet.

If I thought there was something seriously wrong at the time, she would've went to the Glasgow Vet School straight away.

Anyway, the vet gave her a thorough examination and the only bit she disliked being manipulated was her hip, so he suspects that she has hurt a muscle/ligament in that area and perhaps she has a tiny bit of arthritis in that area (being 10 this year) which has made the problem seem worse. Only xrays would confirm this.

The vet gave her a Vetergesic injection and I've already got some Metacam which I've to give her for 5 days and, if no better, back to my own vet to see what's going on. Strict rest for this time as well, apart from toilet breaks. She's also getting Arnica by mouth.

I'm giving her until Thursday before I go back to work on Friday and, if no better, back to my own vet.

She's bright enough in herself now but she seemed a bit miserable on Sunday.

I'm just a bit concerned that she's still not weight bearing on it, although she had a small scratch with that leg so that gives me some hope!

Those of you whose dogs have had similar, how long was it before they put weight on it?

What did it turn out to be in the end and did you have any xrays done?

Any further treatment? Hydro, physiotherapy etc...

Thanks.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 12:59 PM
my boy is on week 14 now i think of his lameness and off to see ortho tomorrow

he pulled soft tissue in his shoulder just larking about on his harness and has been hopping lame on and off for 3 months its just started to get better since the ortho appointment came through typically! but we are still going tomorrow.

given your description of events i wouldnt rule out cruciate. If she still non weightbearing whilst on the metacam?

if she isnt bearing weight on the metacam i would get her booked in before you go back to work
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 01:30 PM
If she isn't weight bearing on pain relief I would get her back to see your vet as soon as you can.
The only dog I have had like this had ruptured her cruciate ligament.
It could be a number of things but I would not be happy with not weight bearing on Metacam.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Oh no poor Molly.

No advice or experience here but just wanted to send healing vibes xx
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 01:54 PM
My neighbour's lab has just had her second cruciate ligament op having ruptured the second one (both back legs) while off lead and turning a corner.

I would strongly advise a trip to the vets as she isn't weight bearing at all even on pain-killers.

Good luck and I hope she is OK and that it isn't a ruptured cruciate, just soft tissue damage.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks for you thoughts, all...

I've read all the replies and just phoned the vets. Instead of waiting until Thursday, I've booked her in for tomorrow morning for another examination by my own vet and possibly an xray unless he says otherwise. I can always cancel it if she miraculously improves overnight.

As you all say, 3 days on Metacam and still not weight bearing really is a worry. Please let it be just a bad sprain!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 06:09 PM
When one of mine went lame suddenly on a walk it turned out to be his cruciate. He didnt need an op as it wasnt a full tear, just rest and Metacam is what he required. I do take him to hydrotherapy now though as part of his exercise regime.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Yikes. Not liking all this cruciate talk at all.

When I touch the leg, she can hold it upwards and inwards, and also outwards.....it's putting it down on the ground and walking on it that's the problem.

Hey ho, guess we'll find out tomorrow.

She'll get whatever she needs and, once healed, I'm getting them booked in at the Wellness Centre at the Glasgow Vet School to see if anything they have therapy wise will help. Like physio, underwater treadmill etc.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2013, 07:10 PM
What a worry, poor little Molly, I hope it is just a strain and she will be better soon Nicola.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 07:10 PM
I must admit that my first thought was cruciate too, and your vet will probably be able to tell immediately by manipulating the joint.

When our last dog ruptured hers, she was initially miserable and carried the leg quite high off the ground never even attempting to put it down. After a few days the pain eased but she still could not walk on it, and then of course she had the op. If it IS that, then sometimes with a small dog an operation is not necessary just a long term of total rest.

Good luck anyway, and I hope that it isn't that.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »