Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jboyle
New Member!
Female 

25-02-2011, 10:27 PM

Attacking animals on t.v

Any suggestions to stop 2 year old westie trying to attack any animal he sees on tv. Even cartoon animals not safe!! I've tried water pistol, rattle bottle, choke chain. It's so bad we can't have him on room with is if prog contains animals or if on a station with sdverts incase animal appears on screen. He has nearly went thru flat screen tv on numerous occasions now husband banning him from room.
With
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 11:17 PM
You could try a training lead, as he reacts you just pick up the lead and remove him with 'NO' to another room for a few moments before you allow him back. Your timing & removing him will have to be spot on though.

My sons JRT reacts to all yours does and has done for the last 6 years so he has been using this method now as everything else has failed , but I have to tell you it is time consumming but it is at long last having an effect and she is obeying the NO now more than she has ever done
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by Jboyle View Post
Any suggestions to stop 2 year old westie trying to attack any animal he sees on tv. Even cartoon animals not safe!! I've tried water pistol, rattle bottle, choke chain.
Ok...
Dog reacts to something he sees (on TV).
He is then startled hurt or punished.
Dog now knows things he sees (on TV) cause bad stuff to happen so he reacts.
And sure enough - bad stuff happens.

To stop this behaviour: teach a Settle or Bed command like this:
lure dog to his blanket, reward, Add cue / word.
Repeat till he goes there happily.
Put Tv on. Use your new trick from time to time. If he reacts, turn tv ddown and lure him to his bed and reward. Repeat conditioning.

And please stop punishing your dog.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm reviving this thread rather than starting a new one, as my staffy x does the same. It started when he was little and he would watch the animals on tv. Then he was attacked and DA started. Long story short if he see's anything 'scary' on Tv he will run at the tv, making lots of daft noises with his hackles up.
We initially tired the throwing chains on the floor (BarkBusters advice), which worked to an extent, but you have to be sat up, with the chain in your hand, ready to throw otherwise he knew he could do it and run before you could react. Also it only made the reaction worse, as we were also scaring the poor thing. Hence a really bad reaction now.
We have tried clicker training, so that when he is calm he gets rewarded, but we can't get him calm. No noise, tried pausing the tv so the imagine doesn't move, still just want's to attack it. So I started out in the hall with him, and slowly brought him in, but as soon as he saw the still image he was ready to fight.
I have tried putting him out of the room when he reacts, then when that didn't work I tried watching him and putting him out just before he reacts. Again he would come back in and do the same again.
I know it seems like I have done lots of different things with him but he is 7 and been doing this since he was about 2, the chain thing we only did for a week or so. We are still putting him out when he reacts, it's just automatic now... Some times he will react and then take him self out
And still trying to click and treat when he does behave, which is very very rare.
Any other ideas?