View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 04:51 PM
That was my point also - yes, a good handler can make the very best of the dog given to them.

I have to say I know nothing about how an Akita should be shown re: slack lead/taut lead. What I do know is that she made showing that dog look effortless and looked amazing.

BTW - I'm being non-biased here too - I don't actually like the Fantasa Rotts on the whole (Liz Dunhills kennel). But I do think she is a good handler!

I think we can all take getting beaten fair and square, it's when the dog seems to be lacking and we get beaten that we feel an injustice has been done.

I think I hinder my own placings TBH - I have never actually been shown properly exactly how & where my faults lie as a handler. I wish someone would take me in hand and teach me the ropes properly. I've often said to Sid I would kill for an hour of teaching by one of these really well known dog handlers!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
To be fair, there is a lot of truth in that, a dog will not win on its own, the handler had a lot to do with it, in as much as how they show it.

A good handler can make a nice dog look and move outstanding a bad or inexperienced handler can cost a dog no matter how good it is a placing.

There are 3 things needed in a dog when it is shown, movement/structure and the way its shown off...a good handler can get a dog that may lack one of the above, , to excel in the ring.

A bad handler can hinder an nice/good dog .
So although I agree face judging does go on, but "who's on the end of the lead" plays a huge part in a dogs showing carrier
I've got to agree with this - I've only been showing around a year and I definitely hindered the dog's progress at first. I have been on a handling course and been given tips by experienced friends and I'm getting much better now - and this is reflected in the dog's performance, especially Rio's.

I show her on a loose lead and I feel this is how dogs should be shown. I hate to see dogs strung up!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I've got to agree with this - I've only been showing around a year and I definitely hindered the dog's progress at first. I have been on a handling course and been given tips by experienced friends and I'm getting much better now - and this is reflected in the dog's performance, especially Rio's.

I show her on a loose lead and I feel this is how dogs should be shown. I hate to see dogs strung up!
Oh wow, there's such a thing as a handling course? I had no idea you could do this!!

Where did you find that out from please? I'd love to have one-to-one lessons!!
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Oh wow, there's such a thing as a handling course? I had no idea you could do this!!

Liz Dunhill does handling courses, don't think they are one to one though
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post

I did a 'show offs' course with Paddy Driscoll. It was more of a troubleshooting course for dogs with showing problems, and I learned loads about getting the dog to stand and move how you want it to - and it's all positive training too.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Your local ringcraft class should be able to tell you how to get the best from your dog. We have a few top judges at ours and along with everyone else, all breeds that come will get the help they need.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Your local ringcraft class should be able to tell you how to get the best from your dog. We have a few top judges at ours and along with everyone else, all breeds that come will get the help they need.
yep, my club's classes are good too. Our local one is pants though. I was tired of the teacher's dogs trying to rip a chunk out of Rio.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Yes, I agree, find the nearest ring craft class, it will do both your dog and yourself the world of good.

Also agree with Dawn, on match nights sometimes you will get a top judge to come and judge the class.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I did a 'show offs' course with Paddy Driscoll. It was more of a troubleshooting course for dogs with showing problems, and I learned loads about getting the dog to stand and move how you want it to - and it's all positive training too.
I heard good things about Paddy.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yes, I agree, find the nearest ring craft class, it will do both your dog and yourself the world of good.

Also agree with Dawn, on match nights sometimes you will get a top judge to come and judge the class.
You just reminded me...I went to a match night at a different club to the one I usually train at. Rio was still quite small, about six months. She got best puppy, and I was really chuffed, until the judge commented on her being a nice Anatolian .
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >