View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
areabaylove
New Member!
Male 

26-10-2015, 12:28 AM

Help! Difficult situation with a Pitbull/Dalmatian Mix, please give advice!

So i have a Pit Dalmatian mix that i rescued about a year and half ago from a local shelter. Being naive i dove into the ownership of a dog while juggling many different life paths (he still gets lots of adventure time and attention). Everything was a ok, fine and well for the first year. We would be at the dog park, road trips, here there every where and always involved with my life activities. Then a neighbor moved in with a little bigger pure pit (lots of strength). They scuffled many times but grew tolerant of one another and now share a big yard. Then in the last half year he started getting nippy with other dogs. They were never full on attacks but enough to have to exchange numbers and feel ashamed at my dogs behavior. Then it occurred more and more often, to the point that he makes me nervous when theres a potential confrontation ahead; which has limited the things we used to do together. He seems to triggered by food and toys. when another dog or cat is remotely close to the food or toy hell have a lung and snap at them (this isnt always the case but what i have observed personally). We tried to have a kitten and im almost positive that he got over excited an took a nip, dead. Then we had the sweetest of sweet kittens for about four months then bam he snaps at her over a small piece of chicken, dead. What i need advice with is what to do with the dog. Hes a sweetheart at home, super cuddly and isnt aggressive with humans at all (although theres a baby coming to live here and the thought of him doing this over a baby toy.....scary) Please help give me guidance on the next steps i should take with an animal like this. It brakes my heart to no end but my family is demanding me to make a final move to resolve these issues. What to do, what to do? PS any other information thats needed just ask, Thank you so much in advance dog lover family!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2015, 06:55 AM
I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to give advice on aggression over the internet you need to find a good trainer who uses positive methods and be guided by them.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-10-2015, 10:52 AM
The previous poster was quite correct. Because of the complexities of dog behaviour where aggression is involved, there is no way anyone can give you advice without seeing the animal. I would say though and this is just commonsense - do not get another kitten! Neither would I be inclined to let the dog anywhere near a human child until this situation has been resolved. Your phrase "took a nip - dead" is chilling over a kitten, it is positively horrifying over a human child.
Sorry I can be of no real help - you need a fully qualified professional and quick. I can only hope for a good outcome for you and your dog.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2015, 11:24 AM
A good starting point would be a muzzle and ensuring he's never in a situation around other animals when food and toys are involved, ever. I certainly would not be adding a baby to the current mix.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Bringing a baby around an already food and toy aggressive dog when clearly it isn't managed well at all? That sounds like the worst idea I've ever heard and automatically makes me think this post isn't legit.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2015, 01:33 PM
You really do need to hire the services of a behaviourist who is used to the breed and has experience of working with aggression. There will be much more going on than can be detailed in writing some of which you may not be aware of, but with an expert will be able to pick up on.

In the meantime:

Keep your dog on-lead

If in any doubt of controlling your boy when on lead than use a basket type muzzle

Never allow interactions around food and toys until the problem has been worked on

Do not bring in any other animal who you would be putting at risk

Bring in the behaviourist immediately as a baby is going to be brought into the situation who will quite probably be at risk
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2015, 02:10 PM
First off, my Sophie is exactly what you describe. When we first got her she was very timid but eventually warmed up enough to go off lead, to the dog park and play nicely with small dogs. She has always been fearful with dogs her size or bigger. But tiny dogs she did well with. Then a few years later she began to change radically.

We have a family of house cats. She is afraid of them and they were here before she was. But on walks she became more prey driven. Always squirrels...but now she was mauling stray cats if she could catch them. I tried to bring home two kittens. Because of her one kitten died in my hands, the other I whisked out of the house to safety. Then we were walking one day and she attacked a puppy.
Then foolishly I tried to take in a rescue dog. She bit the dogs leg deeply by nightfall.

She is elderly now. Except for our other dog Callie and the resident housecats she is never allowed near another animal. I walk her late night so she sees no other dogs. My youngest daughter is fourteen, my son is twenty. Even my husband knows that Sophie is unstable so everyone lets her just hang out with me. Things like making the raspberry sound can make her try to bite.

You do not want to live like this. I cannot emphasize this enough...DO NOT LET YOUR DOG NEAR A BABY FOR ANY REASON. I just had my first grandson. He will never meet Sophie. Even supervised and muzzled and on leash a dog can kill a baby or young child very easily. You don't want to live with that guilt for the rest of your life.

Yes you want to consult a behaviorist and trainer ASAP. But do not let your dog get near a baby.