20-06-2012, 02:04 PM

I was right to be scared :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...s-1776775.html

I hate cows.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-06-2012, 02:56 PM
and how many millions of people walk through cow fields with out a problem ?

i do agree you shouldnt walk through a cow field unless you know cows though so you can understand what they are telling you
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2012, 03:04 PM
wouldnt stop me walking thru a cow field
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Cows are evil I hate them 2, an only good cow is one that is in steak form on my plate, medium rare
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I've walked and ridden my horse (by accident as someone e had left one of the gates open ) through fields of cows and not had a problem.

So long as you don't get too close and keep walking by they don't tend to take any notice of you.

Bit of a different story when the cows are by the said gateway you have to go through though
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Everyone should be aware that cows can be dangerous and what to do if they find themselves in a scary situation. (Always let the dog off the lead and escape the field separately).

Young bullocks can also be dangerous - usually without any intent, as they can get excited and stampede.

If at all possible, I avoid fields with cattle when I have the dogs with me, but if I have no choice, then I always skirt the field as far away as possible to the cows, keeping the dogs on a tight lead, but if the cows come towards me then I always let the dogs off their leads and escape separately.
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Scary, I'm sure, but it wouldn't stop me if I had to pass through a field. Stick to the fence/hedge, keep the dog close and stay well away from the cows.

It makes me wonder why people aren't more careful or cautious when cows are large, heavy, easily startled, flight animals...
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 09:06 PM
i avoid when I can when out with my pair
I didnt realise how much cows can hate dogs when one time I was walking along a path bordering a feald of cows, the cows were in the distance the other side of the field
We were ignoring them walking on by - and the cows all charged us - not nosy to see - but with intent on hurting the dogs
I am so glad the fence was there
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 11:25 PM
I have a fantastic dog whose mother, a working sheepdog, was born on a farm in the New Forest. His protective and herding instincts are amazing. When we have walked through cattle fields and they have taken too much interest in him/us, he has kept them at bay, and even rounded them up into a group.

However on one occasion we crossed a field with some young heifers and they completely spooked... They chased him with tails up and bucking and he ran for his life, thankfully we got to the stile unharmed.

But normally now he ignores them even at very close quarters, unless they start something, then his herding instinct kicks in and he is actually a joy to watch.

I wish I could get to know some local farmers and have some proper herding work, or attend classes with him.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2012, 05:30 AM
You have to maintain a sense of proportion. That article states 4 people killed by cows in a matter of weeks and two people killed by wasps in a matter of DAYS!

I think far more people than that are killed as a result of horse riding incidents.

There are clear guidelines about how to conduct yourself if walking in the countryside where cattle are about.

If it gets too hysterical, I can see a total ban being called for on people walking anywhere that cattle might be - much like them not allowing people to walk on motorways in case they get hit by a vehicle!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >