Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 08:45 PM

If your raw fed dog has diarrhea...

What do you give as their first meal when they are better?

People I know who feed kibble will generally give something bland like rice/pasta/scrambled eggs/cooked fish as the first meal when the dog is better.
What do you give your 'raw' dog?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 08:50 PM
After surgery I followed the vets advice and gave cooked chicken, then back to raw

Otherwise I usually start them on lamb mince - or mibby chicken wings to firm things up a bit
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
What do you give as their first meal when they are better?

People I know who feed kibble will generally give something bland like rice/pasta/scrambled eggs/cooked fish as the first meal when the dog is better.
What do you give your 'raw' dog?
Live yoghurt + banana + probiotic capsule + tree bark powder + Manuka Honey smoothie.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Live yoghurt + banana + probiotic capsule + tree bark powder + Manuka Honey smoothie.
Do you do mail order? You could come and feed me
JuliusPug
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2012, 02:36 PM
I think yoghurt has given my dog diarrhea! We started raw feeding a couple of weeks ago and he's had mainly chicken wings, some lamb ribs and a bit of offal. I'd read on here about giving natural yoghurt so gave him some with his dinner on Tuesday evening - yesterday afternoon & evening (& 5am this morning) he had diarrhea which he's never had before, so I think it must be the yoghurt.

How much do you feed? He weighs 9kg and he probably had 1.5 tbsps - was that too much?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 02:39 PM
When Casper had a tummy bug, the vet suggested chicken. I asked him if he felt raw chicken mince was a gentle enough option and although he hadn't had loads of experience of raw feeding, he felt it would be a good option - it's something Casper eats regularly with no trouble, chicken is one of the more easily digested proteins, and the small amount of bone could help firm things up too. He just suggested I feed little and often rather than big meals. It seemed to do the trick

(I think after a few days I introduced some white fish for variety too - again, he'd had it before with no problems and fish tends to be better on the tum)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Beware that you do not confuse correlation with causation ie it is not a coincidence!

When mine get a meal of yoghurt they get 1kg of it plus the extras.

The only way to determine if your dog has issues with yoghurt is not to feed it of course.

1.5 tsps is not going to give a dog diarrhoea unless

a) it was way past its use by date
b) the dog is allergic to casein
c) the dog is lactose intolerant

And as yoghurt breaks down the last two it is doubtful.

But as in anything, if it does not agree with YOUR dog, do not feed it.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 02:48 PM
1kg that's a lot of yoghurt!

I tend to feed chicken mince for a few days
JuliusPug
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Beware that you do not confuse correlation with causation ie it is not a coincidence!

When mine get a meal of yoghurt they get 1kg of it plus the extras.

The only way to determine if your dog has issues with yoghurt is not to feed it of course.

1.5 tsps is not going to give a dog diarrhoea unless

a) it was way past its use by date
b) the dog is allergic to casein
c) the dog is lactose intolerant

And as yoghurt breaks down the last two it is doubtful.

But as in anything, if it does not agree with YOUR dog, do not feed it.
1kg! Half of what I gave Julius seemed to be on his head when he'd finished licking his bowl so the amount he had can't have been that much. The yoghurt was fresh and opened for him, so it wasn't off. I think we'll wait a while then try it again and see if the same happens. I'll have to quiz the dogsitter about whether she gave him anything during the day though as that might be a more likely explanation!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Smokey - your suggested diet sounds exactly like what the Greek docs fed me on in the hospital after my emergency appendectomy once I was allowed to eat again!

Yoghurt, dry toast and honey, milk and honey, and wow - after about 3 days they brought me a saucer of quite runny mashed potato! I actually got well v. quickly so I kept up the yog and honey stuff once they let me out (early).

My dog was on death's doorstep when tiny - didn't even weigh 750g - terribly dehydrated - couldn't stand up - diarrhoea that was just like blood and guts. But a REALLY bloated noisy belly. What a sight.

She had this brown paste in a tube - can't remember what it was but she used to lick it off my finger - a diuralite equivalent and pro biotic yoghurt (not the strained kind) and then the vet suggested progressing to minced chicken, rice, pasta. She loved fish but he said white fish wouldn't build her up as quickly as chicken would. I was told one big tablespoon of the yog a day (I guess that might be equiv. to a Kg for a dog that weighs only about 700g!

They could not guarantee she would survive for almost a month. She did now and is a super little dog.

I think she might have had parvo. They were very cagey about it but told me all her 'brothers and sisters' were just as ill and some of them did not survive.

I took her home from the vets with their permission and all the kit and caboodle she needed as they were not able to give her 24hr care and I was. And she was distressed being caged, not sleeping and falling over into her own mess etc.

She could only stand on 3 legs for a while afterwards and they said they did not know if that would ever get better and the best they could come up with about why was that maybe one of the zillion rehydration injections she had had touched on a nerve or summat. I said as long as she was not going to be in pain - that was OK as I was a tad 'gammy' too after a bad accident.

We are both better now! We got better together! And now, though quite tiny, she is a typical example of a minpin - the tyrants of the miniature dog breeds!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >