Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2011, 08:21 AM

How often should I give liver?

All offal is expensive here with chicken livers being the least expensive. I understand that it should be given cooked [the rest of the meat, mainly chicken, that Pereg has is raw] so yesterday I stuck half a kilo of chicken livers and a bit of water in my baby slow cooker to lightly cook.

I gave her a small amount yesterday evening with the raw chicken mince plus a frankfurter I had left over, and no runny poos this morning. The rest I froze spread thinly on some aluminium roasting trays, which I have now put into polybags in the freezer [takes up very little space], intending just to break of a piece as and when necessary.

How ofter can I/should I give Pereg liver?

Thanks.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:27 AM
I only give it weekly, I dont cook it
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Only once a week here too, and only a supermarket packet between them, anymore and mine get squitty. I cook them because Keisha turns her nose up at them raw xx
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:14 AM
i cook mine because they wont eat it raw either

interesting that you give it once a week? how much do you give them then? i usually cook it off, then add a bit to one meal a day every day for a week, then they have a week off, then another week on. would be interested to know if i could give it as one meal. although i sometimes use it as a training treat.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i cook mine because they wont eat it raw either

interesting that you give it once a week? how much do you give them then? i usually cook it off, then add a bit to one meal a day every day for a week, then they have a week off, then another week on. would be interested to know if i could give it as one meal. although i sometimes use it as a training treat.
We just do it this way because we're both veggies and if i cook something like liver i have to wash up and dispose of the blood and smell asap LOL, couldn't put it in my fridge, yak! So I'm glad mine can only have it once a week!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
We just do it this way because we're both veggies and if i cook something like liver i have to wash up and dispose of the blood and smell asap LOL, couldn't put it in my fridge, yak! So I'm glad mine can only have it once a week!
mine goes in the fridge but i use the tubs from takeaways so you cant smell it when its in there. takeaway tubs are a godsend and i use the excuse i need more takeaways so i can get tubs
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Jake gets liver once a week, and gets it raw... he loves raw liver He can't get in the bowl quick enough
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:01 AM
we use the dried stuff as treat for maddie, she only gets a tiny bit at a time. she will do anything shes told for the tiniest bit.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Thank you to everyone for your replies. This was the first time I had given Pereg liver and had to cook it in one go as it was in a half kilo pack bought frozen. [For myself, not for her ] Keeping that much defrosted if only fed once a week would mean it would go green and extremely "off" before it was eaten.

As and when my neighbour is able to go and get fresh for me [or rather for Pereg] I will add chicken livers to the list. I can then open freeze and pack in bags, getting out whatever needed as and when wanted.

I suppose the one advantage of cooking it was all the juice/gravy it made which, when frozen in the thin layers, makes more for her to crunch! It also means that I can [ahem] take some for myself before freezing it.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I feed liver perhaps once every 7-10 days. They generally have a c.400g packet between them and they have it as a meal with kidney or tripe.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >