Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Toy Possessiveness and Aggression

How would you best deal with it?

If we are out and Storm has a stick or toy and any dog comes near him, he will growl and curl his lip up at the dog. Today Storm actually stole a ball off of a Flat Coated Retriever and (there were two of them) when the other dog went near Storm, he growled at it and it wasn't even his ball!!

Also, much worse, in the last few days, two different dogs have gone up to Storm and taken his toy away from him and Storm has attacked them, though nobody was hurt...Thank goodness!! The first time it happened, the owner (who I know quite well through walking our dogs in the same field) was absolutely fine about it and just told her dog off for taking Storm's ball. But surely Storm shouldn't react like this over toys? I know they're HIS toys, but he does seem to go a bit over the top.

Both times he has 'attacked' and I have stopped the fight, I have taken the toy off of Storm and put him on his lead. Once the toy has gone away, he is back to being absolutely fine with the dog he has 'attacked'.

Is there anything else I should/should not be doing to try to control/stop this behaviour?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 07:09 PM
I would probably just try to avoid this happening by not allowing him toys on walks myself. Dogs don't naturally "share" things and if he is good with dogs normally then just let him have games with toys in his own house and garden.

Parker is the opposite-he is such a wuss and lets other dogs come and steal his ball and then comes to me and wuffs at me to sort it out for him! I do find it annoying as usually the other owner has no recall whatsoever and I am waiting ages for them to catch their dog and return Parker's ball to me and it usually happens when I'm in a hurry!

Sticks aren't the safest thing to allow your dog to play with anyway as I've seen some horrific pictures on here of injuries inflicted if the dog gets pierced by one.