Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
buddythedob
New Member!
Male 

06-06-2017, 03:35 AM

Diarrhea again

My doberman has been sick for quite a while now on and off. She has been having diarrhea for almost 2 months now. I took her to a vet but he keeps saying its indigestion and the stool test came out negative. But the diarrhea persists. The Dob is extremely weak, he is almost 9 kgs weighing and you can see her bones ticking out. This really makes me sad. The previous month she had the same thing. Watery diarrhea after eating anything and vomiting (not bloody). She was on ornidazole and oflaxacin for almost 2 weeks but nothing helped. Then she started on a probiotic and it didn't seem to work either and all this while I was also giving him distilled water as in store brought since we changed the water filter recently and I thought that might be a problem. But none of this seemed to work. But after I gave her a routine dose of anti-parasitic medication (Alfanil 2 tabs). All of a sudden she stopped defecating completely for 2 days and then ove the next 3 days her stool went back to normal. But then after the 3 days again diarrhoea. So I gave her another dose of Alfanil (she was also on the probiotic this whole time) and again it seemed to work this time she was better for a longer time like 2 week and i stopped the probiotic after about 20 days and started giving her normal filter water. Now after 2 weeks the diarrhea is back I don't know what to do. I gave her a dose of Alfanil (not sure if i should do that, at this point i am just desparate) but it doesn't seem to work. I will take her stool sample once more today for a stool test. Is this just indigestion or is it something else? Any help is highly appreciated, I am almost panicking here folks.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Poor girl, she must be miserable. I take it that you have ruled out the possibility of a food allergy. If my dog was not responding to treatment, and had lost that much weight, I would be seeking a second veterinary opinion.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Has she had any blood tests?
buddythedob
New Member!
Male 

08-06-2017, 07:37 AM
sorry for the late reply, no she did not have any blood test and yes i did rule out allergy. She is having plain rice and curd or plain rice and lentils. and she has been having that all her life with no problems. i stopped giving her meat on the suggestion of the vet. i think i will take him to a different vet this week lets see how that turns out
buddythedob
New Member!
Male 

09-06-2017, 09:24 AM
OK so yesterday night after eating i noticed buddy's stomach is swollen. I thought it was because of the food as he wasn't showing any signs of discomfort or anything. She ate a lot, more than usual and her stool was a little better. It wasn't the usually runny diarrhea type, but a little more solid, but still not proper firm stool. But today afternoon her belly is still swollen( a little less than yesterday) but no signs of pain or discomfort either. It feels soft as if its filled with gas. He is not chocking or panting so i don't think she has swallowed any foreign object but the swollen stomach is a little worrying? can it be parasites? but she already had a couple of anti parasitic medications(alfanil). is there a chance it is not working?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2017, 12:13 PM
The only one who can answer this is a vet. I agree that a second opinion from a different vet is the best way to go. If her stomach is bloated, then sooner rather than later
buddythedob
New Member!
Male 

09-06-2017, 06:32 PM
yes, i made an appointment with a diffierent vet for tomorrow. there are no good vets nor any prope emergency vet care available.this vet he is supposed to be really good. i just hope its nothing serious and he makes it tonight. he seems a little uncomfortable. he is sleeping on his side. but he did defecate but it was runny. do dogs usually defecate if it indeed is bloating or GDV?
buddythedob
New Member!
Male 

10-06-2017, 04:24 PM
I took buddy to the vet today. He thinks it is ascites. Probable cause according to him is problem with heart, liver or kidney. He gave me some tests to run and medications for 10 days.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by buddythedob View Post
sorry for the late reply, no she did not have any blood test and yes i did rule out allergy. She is having plain rice and curd or plain rice and lentils. and she has been having that all her life with no problems. i stopped giving her meat on the suggestion of the vet. i think i will take him to a different vet this week lets see how that turns out
If you are saying that your dog has been fed on rice, curd and lentils then I am not surprised you are having problems ... is this correct, or am I picking up fag ends!! Dogs are mainly carnivorous and have to have meat in some form to survive.

I have not followed this thread closely, so don't know the background but this jumped out at me that the dog is not being fed a proper diet!
buddythedob
New Member!
Male 

11-06-2017, 08:45 AM
He was on boiled chicken and rice before the diarrhea started. The vet suggested I give him rice and curd or lentils till she gets better. Yesterday I went to a different vet and he said I should stick to rice and curd for the time being at least till there is any definitive diagnosis.

Edit: Before the diarrhea i also used to give him boiled potatoes now and then as she is a fussy eater and she loves potatoes. Can that cause any problem?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >