View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 10:30 PM
I would probably plan it so that I only had one if I was going into a shop (Alfie gets walked once a day, twice max, but he doesn't have a huge amount of stamina lol), so the GSD would be out with me separately anyway so would just plan it that I only had one with me, was just curious if people did treat you differently with either more than one dog, or a larger dog.
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2011, 11:00 PM
it really does depend, i dont know that i get treated differently having a GSD but i have nothing else to compare it too.

Have never had any issues taking her on buses, boats or trains. Everyone makes a bee line for her to fuss over her. Have even had her in some cafes (with permission), in the last place at the foot of Tinto hill they all commented on how well behaved she was, got her a bowl of water. Which considering how many folk automatically assume they are bad is lovely.

I get a lot of folk go out of their way to come talk to me as they had Alsatians when they were young!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Anyone with larger dogs - not just GSD's.... do you find people just avoid you? Or can they be verbally rude?
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2011, 12:53 AM
The only place I can take Luke is the little convenience store up the street but I no longer take him in with me because it's just too small and crowded and full of idiots who approach and corner him without asking. What he tolerated a year ago is not so much the case today so I don't risk it. That being said, I think it's only logical that things are a bit more difficult at times with a Great Dane more so than a little breed lol. There's only so many places he will fit after all
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2011, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Anyone with larger dogs - not just GSD's.... do you find people just avoid you? Or can they be verbally rude?
I WISH! If only people WOULD avoid us...I would be much happier. I don't know what it is about people that they think running full tilt at a dog who's face is pretty well level with theirs, without asking to see if said dog actually WANTS to be mauled all over.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Depends where I'm going. In the area I live, yes, they avoid us like the plague! Elsewhere not so much.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:43 AM
I tend to use trips to the town with the dogs as a bit of a training session. I have three, but I would not take all three into the town centre...But split them and things are lovely (add a baby on my back into the mix, and I dont tend to get very far before we have loves from everyone!)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Just something I was thinking about...

Can you do things with one/smaller dogs than having either a bigger dog or more than one?

I shall explain what I mean...

At the moment I can take Alfie into the bank, chemist, building society, on buses etc... if you have either a larger dog, or more than one, do you find this to be more of an issue?

I have taken a friends lab into the chemist before I had Alfie, and that was fine, but was curious as to whether taking Alfie AND something like a GSD would cause problems?

I still want a GSD... was just wondering
I try never to get onto public transport so cannot comment on this (apart from when they are puppies to get them used to the idea).

I have two large dogs and they travel everywhere with me and thus are used to staying in hotels and in B & Bs. I have never found any problems in taking them in although only one couple have ever got into the lift with my GSD

I do not tend to take my dogs shopping so cannot comment on this either, the last thing I want to do is shop and I certainly do not want a dog with me.

The main issue I have found is time, a lot of people want to talk to you if you have dogs with you and each of my dogs attracts a lot of attention for different reasons.

My LHW at 11 is still educating the general public that there is such a thing and tends to attract women.

GSDs tend to divide the population into two and the GSD lovers make a beeline for him.

So one of the reasons it is more difficult to move about is nothing to do with size but the attention they attract and talking to people about either or both.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2011, 07:06 AM
No quite the opposite actually they seem to be drawn to us like a magnet. they watch us for a bit and then make a beeline for us, probably because they see them all playing together and the fact I have big and small dogs together.
Walking back from the vets with Syd my male Dobermann a couple of weeks ago we passed some unknown bloke on the pavement who suddenly decided to sort of ruffle Syd's head in a playful manner as we passed.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Walking back from the vets with Syd my male Dobermann a couple of weeks ago we passed some unknown bloke on the pavement who suddenly decided to sort of ruffle Syd's head in a playful manner as we passed.
yesterday a lady walking past tickled Daisy`s ears happily. Luckily Daisy was offlead and she`s very relaxed then. Not something I`d do to an unkown GSD though.
I found when I had a small foster dog I had different people stop and chat. I think some people like bigguns and some like littl`uns.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >