Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2024, 09:41 AM

Friday, 5 January 2024

Good morning all

It looks pretty cloudy out there and the weather forecasts all say different as to the weather so we are contemplating how to go out this morning.

Do we take the big scooters (that were bloody expensive), the small scooters (that were a lot less expensive) or the car.

My thoughts are veering to the small scooters and keeping out finger crossed
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2024, 10:14 AM
Good morning Chris and allwho follow

Hope you sorted out your mode of transport Chris

Dull and damp here. Early school run done, Teazle walked and housework sorted. Now for a coffee. Out again this afternoon but at least today the roads are not too bad. Last night they were awful with large flooded areas, Fortunately not deep enough to stop a car if driven carefully but in the dark and rain they are difficult to see until you hit them. Needless to say we were a lot of careful drivers.

Tke cafre eveyone.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2024, 10:33 AM
Morning Both

Just popping out Sue did you enjoy your new years day being waited on at Ben's.
Yes be careful with the flood water think most are thinking twice the the sheer colum of water. Chris sure you will make the right descision re transport did the "destined for the sea" scooters eventually go to their new owner.

HAVE A GOOD DAY ALL BACK SHORTLY
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-01-2024, 12:13 PM
Afternoon Chris, Sue Kazz and all to follow.
No rain yet but it is now looking threatening. We were over the dog field for a while this morning, it was very wet some lovely puddles which Brewster enjoyed but he as a nightmare to get up the ramp to go a nightmare getting out when there and vice versa coming home.
We took a detour and took a look at the other field a little further away and it looks much nicer so we will book that next time also no puddles in that field.

If we have the energy after fighting the delinquent we will be taking down the christmas tree in the living room.

Chris which did you take in the end ?
Sue I was wondering how you would be getting on with the possible flood waters.
Take care.
Kazz enjoy whatever you are up too.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2024, 01:04 PM
We decided on the small scooters but as there was only a couple of spots of drizzle, we needn't have worried.

The small scooters are the 'destined for the sea' scooters that now seem to be behaving themselves, but the whole 14 month episode has really put me off them, hence they only come out to play when we are unsure of the weather.

Blooming cold run this morning though, but Ted enjoyed it. On every Yorkiepoo forum, they all say that this mix will only walk around the block. My little monster does a couple of miles (with stops) and still wants more. A mystery wrapped up in an enigma my little monster
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-01-2024, 02:09 PM
Those scooters heard you Chris.
I am finding even though a dog you own may be the same breed as someone else who owns one there is no hard and fast rule for behaviours and temperament and energy levels.
Ollie was nervous very unusual for the Bernese, Dillon was energetic and not dissimilar to Brewster, Brewster is more manic than Dillon times 100 but I see so many similar characteristics.
Brewster has the same 3 times Grandfather as Dillon and boy was Hagen bad.

I do envy the people who have the laid back willing to please at every move Berners. Like Dillon I hope Brewster's will come with time.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Home now been everywhere and no where basically due to lots of short stop start journies I took Perytwo out for a good run.

Chris sounds like the scooters are beaten into submission, and maybe the its the poeple who want a short walk not the yorkiepoo's. Lynn back a little while when you met a Stafford I could by simply listening to the owners woes almost identify what breeding was behind it not up on it anymore however sometimes the parts of the whole do not misx to make what you thinkthey will, Nature will out. So is Gorden off to the human trainer in the near future.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2024, 02:17 PM
Brenda Hope you absence is simply internet issues and nothing sadder.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2024, 02:19 PM
No I am around just got nothing new to add.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-01-2024, 02:47 PM
If we go down the behaviourist route Kazz it will be dual purpose.
Everything I research tells me nothing more than I already know and am or have tried.

It is very true as Elaine who keeps me sane said t's not just genetics its chromosomes also, so that it might be that he is the only one that might suffer with the joint issues and maybe although I doubt I will ever be told if the others do at some point also.

I remember when we met the guy who owned Dillon's brother when they were around 7 months old and he asked how he was doing and I said he is so naughty he also said the brother was too.
His pup won his ticket to Crufts but he didn't take him as he was so bad now Lee and Julie had owned well still do Newfies and Berner's for many years.

I asked him if it was because the breed were Halesberns and he said no he would have another Halesbern at the drop of a hat but not the mating that was Dillon's and Aidens litter again.

In the end as you know Dillon turned out to be an ambassador for his breed when the brain fairy decided to visit and stay.
His brother also turned out alright but was aggressive sometimes to other dogs and had to be put to sleep at 9 due to bone cancer in the front leg.
So yes nature and genetics if you go back into the lines they are bred from and things are recorded show up.
I have discovered on Brewsters mum's side there is a high incidence of high hip scores and a few above the advised grade for elbow problems.
Brewsters right hip is not great and his elbows although not bad may throw up problems as he ages.

Things like temperament and other health issues are rarely recorded on the site we can access in the UK. The Russian Site Ingrus is better for more in depth information regarding European lines which Brewster has (Ukrainian) but it is now hard to access as they have changed the rules.

We haven't won the war but we haven't lost the battle yet a couple more avenues to go down before we are possibly forced to give up.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >