View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-01-2024, 08:52 PM
Personally I think there are many factors.
1. Gorden is not consistent enough.
2. Brewster was hand reared and a friend who has had dogs longer than me and some difficult breeds was saying she read that hand reared pups are harder to to rear due to them never being reprimanded by their mothers.
3. by 4.5-5 months he was contained within the garden after being allowed into the big wide world and meeting other dogs and beginning to learn some manners that I believe only other dogs can teach to youngsters.
4. Then by 6 months the limp, the arthroscopic procedure & contained indoors and in the garden on lead only.
He had his world ripped apart and so did we.
We need to start introducing him to dogs that won't bully him or beat him up but that will put him back in his box when he steps out of line.
If he meets some on lead walks he is polite and gets a little over excited.
At the moment the park is far too wet and the thought of him aquaplaning across the field and doing more damage to his joints is just not somewhere I want to go too, none of us could cope with more confinement.

Gorden is doing his best but it wears me down watching and listening and repeating myself.
We will try the increase in food, the foods I am adding that I have researched that have slow release energy potential and possibly to help calm him alongside the hemp oil and cbd.
If not the behaviourist that lives locally and runs classes and has been recommended by a Bernese owing friend she takes her youngsters to her classes will be the last try on our list.
We would be covered for a behaviourist but to be honest she is so reasonably priced we would pay out of our pocket.

He isn't aggressive, he is an adolescent who has had a bad start due to his pastern and shoulder issues and missing out on so much learning when young and impressionable.

Gorden agrees we need to try all avenues before throwing in the towel and I feel we won't but he has to man up a bit with him, hard when he mouths so hard and tugs at your clothing but if I can do it so can he.
We are also very down about the loss of our friend and that we will very soon lose another.

Yes Kazz what a memory Zanta was 8 months old and a Berner x Newfie she played her breeder up to when she returned she gave her a run for her money and she said she had never come across such a wilful youngster in all the years of owning both breeds.
She went to a new home and changed completely and became a lovely girl.

Brewster is not the same in that respect he has lost his way and he needs manners.
It won't be for want of trying if it doesn't work out.

The weirdest thing is he is more attached to Gorden than me. He will happily lie at Gordens feet than mine he gets more upset at Gorden being out than me.
He is very attached to him and I think treats him more like a litter mate.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2024, 10:27 PM
Marie Miller (now retired I believe) was an excellent trainer and TTouch practitioner. A group of us APDT trainers went to her first ever TTouch class so she could try out whether or not how she was presenting it would work. Great lady
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2024, 11:42 PM
Lynn I recall because I think it was the first time I had come across the word/issue Bloat in a dog having not having any dealing with breeds susceptible to it . And I liked the name.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2024, 11:45 PM
The weirdest thing is he is more attached to Gorden than me. He will happily lie at Gordens feet than mine he gets more upset at Gorden being out than me.
He is very attached to him and I think treats him more like a litter mate.

Lynn I think you have hit the nail on the head he does not respect Gorden he just loves Gorden. Solve the issue which is "Gorden" and maybe a few other issues will be resolved as well so you need a human behavourist LOL
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3