Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Furmom84
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2015, 08:32 PM

I need house training help.

We have had our puppy for 3 weeks now. We take him out often to use the bathroom, we tell him "good boy" and give him a nice pet. We were giving treats but I'm sometimes in a rush to get him out the door (like first thing in the morning) and forget, so I've stopped. We will now take him out and tell him "go potty" and he will pretty much pee when we tell him this. He will now go to the door and whine when he has to poop which is great, but if I'm not watching or lose track of when the last time he was out was he will pee on the floor without bothering to get my attention. I caught him once trying to poop on the floor, I told him no and took him right outside and it seems like he understood after that. I've caught him mid pee many times and stopped him and took him out, he just doesn't seem to be getting the hang of it. I clean up his mess very well and use either and enzyme cleaner or vinegar after I've soaked up the pee, and I sprinkle baking soda in the carpet everyday before I vacuume. He also isn't peeing in the same spot, so I doubt it's because he smells other accidents. I got him some new treats today and I'm going to keep them by his leash so I remember to grab them, but is there anything else I should be doing?
I just don't understand how he can figure out he has to poop outside, but can't understand he needs to pee out there also.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2015, 10:59 PM
You've only had him for three weeks so the little fella is still very much learning.

The key is consistency. Set an alarm clock if needs be and be vigilant when he is in the house so that you take out the 'error' factor.

Only when that occurs will he cotton on to coming to tell you that he needs to go
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2015, 08:20 AM
Toilet training is rarely reliable before about 20 weeks of age. There's always someone who will say their dog got it at 10 weks, well bully for them but it's not helpful and it's not a competition, You're training him for life. Certain breeds are harder than others too. Just stick with it and it will click into place eventually.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2015, 10:18 AM
How old is your puppy? They can't hold their bladder for long so the onus is on you to be vigilant. Good luck .
JoesPooch
New Member!
Male 

28-06-2015, 06:11 PM
If your puppy is very young, you still have plenty of time to take matters into your own hands.

You can crate train him or house train him by showing him his "spot" and isolating him there for brief bursts of time. Eventually, increase the amount of time he spends there. Always reward him right after. I found out about this method on a dog care and puppy training website.

Hope that helped! Keep us updated.
Furmom84
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2015, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by JoesPooch View Post
If your puppy is very young, you still have plenty of time to take matters into your own hands.

You can crate train him or house train him by showing him his "spot" and isolating him there for brief bursts of time. Eventually, increase the amount of time he spends there. Always reward him right after. I found out about this method on a dog care and puppy training website.

Hope that helped! Keep us updated.
He has a kennel, he stays in it at night. He will go out between 10:30 and 11, then my husbands lets him out around 6, and I will let him out again around 7:30, then he gets breakfast, and goes out again about 20-30 mins after he eats. Then every hour or so after that.
It's just that sometimes he will still pee in the house. He always goes to the door if he has to poop.....we have only had 3 poop accidents in a month, and since he's started asking got go out for poop he hasn't had any accidents. I read tons of times not to rub their nose in it and what not. But the last time he peed on the floor shortly after we had just come inside so I showed it to him and told him no, and he has started to ask to go out and pee. A few times he has peed right by the door while waiting for us to walk over, but other than that it's been better.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Sounds like you are doing everything right and just need to be patient and give it more time. One thing I do is keep the puppy on a leash or at least right near me in the same room to prevent him from wandering off and having an accident. That seems to prevent most accidents, along with taking the puppy out as often as possible (as you're doing) and using a kennel when you can't supervise (like you're doing).

One thing I would add is don't expect a puppy that young to ask to go out. I know you're taking him out anyway, but he may or may not ever learn to "ask" to go out. My 9-year-old Lab has only asked to go out maybe 5 times in his entire life when he was sick and it was an emergency. So, just know that some dogs ask and some don't. Maybe yours will though, as you've suggested he might be doing already.

Here is a post I wrote about common potty training mistakes. I don't think you're doing any of these, but one tip in the post is to make sure to go out the same door every time and to go to the same spot outside so everything is consistent for the puppy. And definitely use those yummy treats you just bought. Here it is: https://www.dogids.com/blog/common-p...ning-mistakes/

Good luck and congrats on your new puppy!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2015, 04:34 PM
I never expect much from a puppy under 6 months. Our puppy is 5 months & still has the occasional accident. Puppy will get there. Theyre only little babies x
Furmom84
New Member!
Female 

14-07-2015, 02:11 AM
He's doing very well now. He still has a few accidents but I'm actually a little worried about. He will pee while he's walking around, he won't stop whatever it is he is doing. I end up with a zig zag line of pee across my floor. It's frustrating to clean that up instead of just one puddle, but do you think something is wrong (like a uti or he doesn't even know he is going) or maybe he's just too excited to care he is peeing everywhere. When he is outside he stops and squats, I've only noticed this inside. He has an appointment next week, I wonder if it's worth mentioning to his vet.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2015, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by Furmom84 View Post
He's doing very well now. He still has a few accidents but I'm actually a little worried about. He will pee while he's walking around, he won't stop whatever it is he is doing. I end up with a zig zag line of pee across my floor. It's frustrating to clean that up instead of just one puddle, but do you think something is wrong (like a uti or he doesn't even know he is going) or maybe he's just too excited to care he is peeing everywhere. When he is outside he stops and squats, I've only noticed this inside. He has an appointment next week, I wonder if it's worth mentioning to his vet.
Please do mention it to the vet. My collie had an occasional way of peeing while she was eating. But with a youngster anything unusual needs checking .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >