View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 03:56 PM

Does early neutering affect growth rate at all?

I have a Lab crossed puppy. He is 9 1/2 ish months and just starting to fill in a bit. Double rear dews complete with bones and everything, curly tail, really thick curly black coat. Mixed with Great Pyrenean Mastiff or Beauceron or something. Who knows? I sure don't!

He was neutered and completely healed before I got him at three months old, so who knows HOW early it was done, only that it was early. Mega early. Didn't really think about it until people started mentioning it when I said it.

He's taller than Jade, but only by a bit, but he's long. When standing on his hind legs, his front paws come up nearly to my sternum and I am nearly 5'9". Jade's paws barely pass my lower stomach. But only within like the last month has his back etc. started to widen at all.

He is now about 61 lbs, give or take day by day. He's quite a bit larger LOOKING than my previous Lab mix. Wider, much longer, same height, more weight on him (not as skinny/ribby as my last Lab mix)... but weighs the same because of no muscle/bone density I guess?

But when he walks, his skin still flaps around on his body. His skin is still soooooo loose as if he has quite a bit more growing to do, and the vet said he'd be about 85 lbs fully grown... but I thought 9, almost 10 months was like when the growth really started to slow.

Insights?
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 04:07 PM
You're back; hope Jade and Nigredo are doing well

Larger breeds take a lot longer to grow to their full size than smaller breeds. Great Pyr. are very big dogs, so if he does have any of that in him, I wouldn't have expected him to be even nearly done growing at 9 months.
I don't know about the early neutering so I shan't comment on that, but check out this general growth chart:

Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Hi Myra,
Welcome back
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Hi Myra,
Welcome back
Eileen? Is that you?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
You're back; hope Jade and Nigredo are doing well

Larger breeds take a lot longer to grow to their full size than smaller breeds. Great Pyr. are very big dogs, so if he does have any of that in him, I wouldn't have expected him to be even nearly done growing at 9 months.
I don't know about the early neutering so I shan't comment on that, but check out this general growth chart:

We are doing alright. They hate each other more than ever now, but I have at least gotten them to get along by acting like the other dog isn't there.

It is unfortunate that they won't be able to be friends, but at least Jade is okay with the way things are... scaredy cat.

Thanks for the chart. It is helpful. He will likely be the size of an adult male German Shepherd (80 lbs or so), and it looks like he is on the weight track of one as well.

I guess he's all good!!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Hi Myra,
Welcome back I too have had a name change ... see my signature panel below
I am sorry that Nigredo and Jade aren't good friends ... it started off quite well didn't it.
How about some recent photos of Nigredo .... who won't be fully grown yet, so maybe will fill his skin out one day
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Shaggy2 View Post
Hi Myra,
Welcome back I too have had a name change ... see my signature panel below
I am sorry that Nigredo and Jade aren't good friends ... it started off quite well didn't it.
How about some recent photos of Nigredo .... who won't be fully grown yet, so maybe will fill his skin out one day
Oh, hello Jenny. If you don't wish for me to call you that, please let me know right away. Also, I can't post pictures right now... but will be able to soon enough. Have soooo many. Videos, too!

It did start well, and I was so hoping they'd get along a bit better than she and Brownie did. Captain Brownie was kind of a ******* to her. Ha... no dice with Nigredo, but oh, well.

It's okay that they aren't friends... it's more important that they aren't enemies. They aren't. They won't play together, or snuggle up close to each other, but they will lie next to each other, and sit beside each other while I hand them treats.

And Jade will stand up to ANYTHING to protect him, even though she's as blackmouth as it gets. I'm happy to see it. Maybe there is still hope. He's still a puppy and he's a Lab at that... so he's mega puppy. Maybe once he settles down... *dreams*

I always told her when he was little... "Protect him girlie, and when he gets big and strong and you're getting all old... he'll protect you". He's far larger than she is now... though running from Min Pins isn't exactly protecting Jadey...

Hope you and yours are doing well. All double dog owners envy the way your two get along.... You have a good one!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Pre pubescent castration stops the long bones(Tibia, Fibula & Femur)grwth plates closing at the correct time, the closure is triggered by testosterone produced in the testes

The growth plates in the legs of the sterilized animals closed later than those of the intact animals due to the absence of sex hormones that, among other things, promote growth plate closure. This means that the sterilized animals actually grow taller than their intact compadres, by an almost imperceptible few millimeters – the exact opposite result of the “stunted growth” fears.
From here
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Pre pubescent castration stops the long bones(Tibia, Fibula & Femur)grwth plates closing at the correct time, the closure is triggered by testosterone produced in the testes

From here
Yes, yes. I know that the dogs tend to get a bit taller than they should... but not always. He is not super long of leg... it's more his back is long. I was speaking about his muscle development, and "filling out". But thank you anyway.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Eileen? Is that you?
Yep!!had to change my name,wanted by the FBI
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >