Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Grocer
New Member!
Male 

27-06-2012, 05:13 PM

Painful worming injection

Hi all,
For the first time we have brought our dog from Greece to the UK. As per DEFRA requirements we had a vet carry out out the worming progress. Knowing she is extremely difficult in taking tablets I chose to have him inject her.
Thinking it was going to be under the skin in the neck I was surprised it was administered in the thigh muscle.
The vet was extremely nice very efficient, arriving on time at the surgery on what was a Bank Holiday (I did not realise)....but the poor dog screeched for 2-3 minutes afterwards......have other members found this when their dogs have received worming this way?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Oh, poor love.

Sorry, no experience of this, but having had vitamin injections into a muscle I know it's very painful.....
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Would it not have been much easier to use a spot on anti wormer?
The Grocer
New Member!
Male 

28-06-2012, 04:40 AM
Not aware spot on anti wormer is available for dogs
Tupples
New Member!
Female 

28-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Yeah injections are painful, more so in the thigh muscle!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by The Grocer View Post
Not aware spot on anti wormer is available for dogs

It's just a liquid that you part the hair and it goes onto the back of the neck (although it does smell for a few hours), Advocate and Frontline are two examples, with Advocate covering a wider range of wormers, fleas and ear and mange mites all in one

Maybe an idea for next time?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 11:40 AM
The Defra guidelines state (new rules, from 1st Jan 2012)
"No less than 1 day but no more than 5 days before your scheduled return to the UK, you must visit a vet to have your pet treated for tapeworm (the requirement for the treatment for ticks has now ended). This will usually be in the form of tablets, perhaps Milbemax. The vet MUST stamp the relevant page to show that treatment has been given (with date and time). This is what will be examined at your departure point. Our advice is to double check the vet’s entry in the passport before you leave the surgery especially if the treatment has been given at a surgery a long way from your departure port/airport. If this treatment isn’t given or the treatment has been given outside of the 1 to 5 day window, you will not be able to re-enter the UK."

I think tapeworm is the one worm that Advocate spoton does not cover.

Strange that tablets weren't used

Edit: Sorry, that will teach me to skim-read the OP!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
The Defra guidelines state (new rules, from 1st Jan 2012)
"No less than 1 day but no more than 5 days before your scheduled return to the UK, you must visit a vet to have your pet treated for tapeworm (the requirement for the treatment for ticks has now ended). This will usually be in the form of tablets, perhaps Milbemax. The vet MUST stamp the relevant page to show that treatment has been given (with date and time). This is what will be examined at your departure point. Our advice is to double check the vet’s entry in the passport before you leave the surgery especially if the treatment has been given at a surgery a long way from your departure port/airport. If this treatment isn’t given or the treatment has been given outside of the 1 to 5 day window, you will not be able to re-enter the UK."

I think tapeworm is the one worm that Advocate spoton does not cover.

Strange that tablets weren't used

Edit: Sorry, that will teach me to skim-read the OP!
Me too! I missed/didn't register that is was a pet passport wormer treatment , and you are right about the tapeworm being required, and being the one that Advocate doesn;t cover
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 02:06 AM
Mine have always had tablets plus frontline. Certainly won't be opting for an injection after reading this!
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Would your dog not take pills disguised in the tastiest treats such as liver pate? Or sardines?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >