Our sister sites
Our sister sites
clairebeattie
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2011, 08:05 PM

Diabetes Insipidus

Hi,
I have a 5-6 year old female rottweiler. She is a rescue dog and i've had her for about 18 months. She had been neutered prior to me getting her and had massive infection. She has always had an obsession with water and will drink and drink and more or less never stop if she could get away with it. She has in the last 6 months begun leaking urine, usually after she has just passed urine and normally it was just drips however things have worsened over last few weeks and she is leaking a lot. She has no infection, and we have had her scanned with nothing untoward, although her bladder is sitting intra-pelvically. he had a water deprivation test done on monday and we have been told she has diabetes insipidus as she was unable to concentrate her urine. Anyone else have a dog who suffers from this condition???????
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 11:19 PM
So sorry to hear this. I have a friend (human) with DI, and its no picnic for her. At work (I'm a VN) we have a beagle with DI that is fairly well controlled on desmopressin. We were giving the oral tablets, but due to cost have switched to giving the nasal spray as a subcutaneous injection which seems to work well and is saving the client money.

What has your vet suggested RE: Treatment.
Ellard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2011, 01:41 PM
My last Cocker had DI and it was controlled with Desmopressin and Propalin. The vet gave me a prescription and I got the tablets from the Chemist which was a much cheaper way of doing it (saved over £100 on every prescription). She had it from around the age of 8/9 and lived until a ripe old 15 and was still active up into her last days so it is manageable.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 01:32 PM
My beagle was diagnosed with this but has appeared to have grown out of it? So wether it was in the first place not sure. We used to put a big waterproof tablecloth down in a corner with newspaper on and if he was caught short when we were out he would go there, it was like paper training after he had been house trained It made accidents easier to cope with though. .
clairebeattie
New Member!
Female 

02-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks for your replies, Kara is being treated with Desmopressin and there is a slight improvement so we are just playing about with dosage now to get it right. She never wets in the house its just dribbles that she isn't aware she is doing. Things seem to be improving now though thank goodness!