Our sister sites
Our sister sites
black666
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2011, 10:40 PM

Canine Diabetes Insipidus!

Hi folks,
my mothers dog is in the process of being tested for dibetes insipidus due to his extensive drinking and peeing. He has to go in for a water depravation test on friday and has already had bloods done which confirm that his kidneys, liver and white blood cell count are pretty much normal therefore we are hoping it turns out to be a obsession with water. (he has to drink every bowl dry and is always drinking from puddles and licking pavements etc). I have never heard of this type of diabetes before, so i was wondering if anyone has any info or experience with it.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi yes My beagle Willow started to drink lots and couldn't hold his wee overnight or sometimes if we were out in the day which wasn't normal.Our vet did tests as well and I had to monitor amounts of water he was drinking(good fun when you have 2 dogs) Also had to catch water sample when he peed...sure way to stop a dog peeing The long and short of it is he was diagnosed with diabetes insipidus ,and told it can come and go,we never got any meds for him because we felt that we could cope with the amount of accidents he had, he also would do them on a waterproof sheet with newspaper ontop so it was easy enough to clean up after, we had this problem for 6 months or so he then seemed ok. He is on steroids at the moment for a skin problem they can make them pee more,and sometimes he wakes us in the night to go out ,I pressume it's the steroids not the diabetes insipidus but who knows? Hope it turns out not to be, but if it is I think they can treat it if necessary.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 03:19 AM
I know a dog that had it, and her insatiable thirst eventually meant she was PTS as the meds stopped working. I had a dog tested for it too, he had the deprivation test and the tests to test urine concentration etc.. The diagnosis was not DI, it is fairly rare in dogs, he was ultimately diagnosed with Psychogenic Polydipsia, he liked to drink water.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 07:41 AM
I have a friend with a young dog who has been diagnosed with DI. I don't think it's related to diabetes mellitis, despite having a similar name but I'm sure someone can confirm this?

I'm not aware that she is having any particular problems but I will ask her when I see her and post back.
black666
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by EGYPTGAL View Post
Hi yes My beagle Willow started to drink lots and couldn't hold his wee overnight or sometimes if we were out in the day which wasn't normal.Our vet did tests as well and I had to monitor amounts of water he was drinking(good fun when you have 2 dogs) Also had to catch water sample when he peed...sure way to stop a dog peeing The long and short of it is he was diagnosed with diabetes insipidus ,and told it can come and go,we never got any meds for him because we felt that we could cope with the amount of accidents he had, he also would do them on a waterproof sheet with newspaper ontop so it was easy enough to clean up after, we had this problem for 6 months or so he then seemed ok. He is on steroids at the moment for a skin problem they can make them pee more,and sometimes he wakes us in the night to go out ,I pressume it's the steroids not the diabetes insipidus but who knows? Hope it turns out not to be, but if it is I think they can treat it if necessary.
Thanks for that the vet has mentioned about the management and treatment for this, and in regards to his peeing indoors it is very seldolm( maybe 3 times a week) and like your dog it is during the night.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I know a dog that had it, and her insatiable thirst eventually meant she was PTS as the meds stopped working. I had a dog tested for it too, he had the deprivation test and the tests to test urine concentration etc.. The diagnosis was not DI, it is fairly rare in dogs, he was ultimately diagnosed with Psychogenic Polydipsia, he liked to drink water.
Sorry to hear that am hoping it wont be the same fate for Kenzie. We are all airing on the side that it could be an obsession for water that is the problem.

Is it true that it can shorten the life span if diagnosed?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by black666 View Post
Sorry to hear that am hoping it wont be the same fate for Kenzie. We are all airing on the side that it could be an obsession for water that is the problem.

Is it true that it can shorten the life span if diagnosed?
Well it didnt shorten her life no, she was 14/15 when she died. My dog had the "obsession" you speak of, its called "Psychogenic Polydipsia." He was diagnosed young and lived til he was 13, died of unrelated illness.

Psychogenic polydipsia - The over-consumption of water may constitute a behavioral or medical disorder; diagnostic testing must be performed to ensure that the condition is not a result of a medical problem. Dogs with psychogenic polydipsia tend to be young animals which may be attempting to seek attention from their owners. The owner attention comes when the animal frequently requests to be walked or let outside to urinate. Increased exercise, attention, and restriction of water are usually effective treatments.
There is a lot of info on it on the net. My dog also had tests for Diabetes Melitus, Cushings, Liver/kidney disease etc..
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 01:51 PM
My Jake was diagnosed with this. It was put under control with daily injection of hormones. Ifyou need any advice pm me

xx

ETA the water depravation test will confirm it, although a pretty dangerouse test, am sure your vet knows this. Hope it goes well. Is his wee very pale and oads of it?
black666
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2011, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=Borderdawn;2146750]Well it didnt shorten her life no, she was 14/15 when she died. My dog had the "obsession" you speak of, its called "Psychogenic Polydipsia." He was diagnosed young and lived til he was 13, died of unrelated illness.

Thanks, this is what we are hoping for it to turn out to be. I have looked at some of the research on the net and slowly beginning to get cluded up. Do you know if there is any main cause to dogs developing "Psychogenic Polydipsia."

Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
My Jake was diagnosed with this. It was put under control with daily injection of hormones. Ifyou need any advice pm me

xx

ETA the water depravation test will confirm it, although a pretty dangerouse test, am sure your vet knows this. Hope it goes well. Is his wee very pale and oads of it?
Thanks alot, his wee usually is pale and and he does the biggest pee's i have ever seen. The vet did explain the test and assured that he will be closely monitred throughout.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by black666 View Post
Thanks, this is what we are hoping for it to turn out to be. I have looked at some of the research on the net and slowly beginning to get cluded up. Do you know if there is any main cause to dogs developing "Psychogenic Polydipsia."
No I dont know what the causes are, I would imagine it was a behaviour issue rather than a medical one, hence the "psychogenic" reference. At the time, I tried to think of what may have triggered it in my dog, the only thing we could think of was him being obsessed with the hose pipe and the water there.
black666
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No I dont know what the causes are, I would imagine it was a behaviour issue rather than a medical one, hence the "psychogenic" reference. At the time, I tried to think of what may have triggered it in my dog, the only thing we could think of was him being obsessed with the hose pipe and the water there.
Ok, i just wondered if there was any medical reason. How do you mangae / resolve this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >