View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Well I sent my mother out after work to buy him a puppy kong. His crate has been open all day and he has been skirting around it. I put a small amount of peanut butter around the rim of the kong and popped him in his crate with it with the door open, he settled down immediately and started chewing it, then bought it out of the crate so I took it off him and popped the kong back in the crate and he went after it, I closed the door and he picked up his kong, he cried a little bit then went quite and sat chewing his kong so I let him out and took his kong off him. He has been back into his crate a few times looking for it, so hopefully it will distract him enough tomorrow whilst I am out.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Sorted! Try little periods of time where you leave him during the day in there, rather than just go out for an hour or so and disappear each time, he'll then get used to it a bit better if you see what I mean! Same as when we leave them home alone for the first time uncrated, we do it by 10 mins, then 15, then 20, that kind of thing. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be ok now.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Cooper has had diarrhea all night I'm not sure the peanut butter agrees with him. I will try a bit of yoghurt today, but I have been searching the forum and someone suggested mash potato, would that be ok for him to eat?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Yes, mashed potato would be great for binding him up a bit too! I had the same with peanut butter, upset both my dogs so I never used it. Bio yoghurt is brilliant coz it will help his tummy too, and it'll last longer if you freeze the whole kong with that in! Good luck with him, sorry it's upset him, but I never did favour that stuff!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I personally wouldn't fill an entire Kong with yoghurt to give to a young puppy due to the high calcium intake.

Mash is a much better alternative.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I have two small kongs, which only take 1/2 a small pot of bio yoghurt each, i.e. those small Activia Fibre ones, they like the cereals one it's so creamy, plus it's good for them, that would equate to about one tablespoon in each kong, not a lot really I wouldn't have thought for a pup?
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I have to agree on the yogurt. Yes, the high high calcium content of yogurt is good for those of us eating a poor diet otherwise. Canine and human nutrition differ. Most puppy chows have all the calcium puppies need. They can't excrete an excess and it causes problems.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Well I only wish I'd known that for the past year, coz my puppy got a whole yoghurt pot every single day I did it after she started getting tummy probs and it seemed to work, but thank goodness it didn't cause any other problems, coz nothing has shown up yet. You learn something every day on here!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I have two small kongs, which only take 1/2 a small pot of bio yoghurt each, i.e. those small Activia Fibre ones, they like the cereals one it's so creamy, plus it's good for them, that would equate to about one tablespoon in each kong, not a lot really I wouldn't have thought for a pup?
A tablespoons worth of yoghurt in a Kong every now and then isn't going to hurt....but, I personally wouldn't, at least not for every day use.

With mine I used canned pumpkin, sweet potato, mash, mince, even boring old dog kibble in a bit of water (end sealed with PB)...and then gave yoghurt when they were older.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
I popped the whole pot of yoghurt into the freezer this morning at 5 am, and scooped a tea spoon out for him and popped it in his puppy kong when I went out to check the horses at 10 am, he seemed quite happy with his kong when I left him, I came home at 10.20 am and he was crying a little bit. I popped some toys in with him, and his duck toy that was on his cushion at the back was at the front so he had obviously played with it, he was happy to see me today so thats good

Since having his kong he hasn't pooped at all though so that's worrying me a little bit, I gave him his lunch at 12 pm and we have been outside twice and he has had a good mooch around, lots of wees and has been drinking water but no poops yet. I worry about him as he is quite bony.

I will be out for longer on thursday so will do him some mash then as it might keep him occupied for longer.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >