Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Cushings Or Diabetes Insipidus

Our lovely Fleet, 10 and half year old English Setter has been drinking over the odds for a little while now. He has always drunk more than the others and tends to drink nothing during the day and then have a 'big swig' when I get home.

We've been to the vets who has tested him for Diabetes Mellitis (sugar diabetes) and liver and kidney function - normal.

But he is now drinking between 2 and 3 litre a day with the obvious consequences of having to wee a lot !

He will be having tests for Cushings tomorrow which will take 5-7 days for the results. Cushings has to be ruled out prior to the Diabetes Insipidus test. His mother (our Poppy) developed Addisons Disease at the age of 7 and this is the 'opposite' of Cushings. Apart from the drinking he doesnt have any other symptoms of Cushings so in my heart of hearts, I think we are looking at Diabetes Insipidus.

Has anyone any experience of this ? Were there any other symptoms ? What is the medication regime and how did you (and your dog) cope ?

Thalice's Mum
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Sorry to hear this about Fleet.
I had a cross breed once who had Cushings, she was quite old, around 14 when diagnosed.
She had an insatiable appetite as well as thirst and would eat anything that was in reach (including my knitting )
She never had any treatment, we are talking 30 odd years ago, I'm not sure what treatment there was in those days.
She was PTS about 6 months after diagnosis.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks Nippy

I am not overly worried about Cushings, Fleet is hungry but not ravenous. He does not have a pot belly and there is no bi-lateral hair loss. I went to a seminar about this a couple of years ago and it can be managed with treatment. I'm sorry your dog was not able to be treated.

I suspect it will turn out to be Diabetes Insipidus and I have no knowledge about this except what I have just found out from the internet. I dont know anyone - human or canine with this disease - I was hoping for someone with a little first hand knowledge.

Thanks

Thalice's Mum