Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2015, 08:03 PM

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate?

What's your opinions on vaccinating?

Both of my two are up to date with their vaccinations, and Alfie is neay 5, and Breagh is nearly 3.

There seems to be more people saying that vaccinations aren't worth it when they become adults?

Does it invalidate their insurance? Or only against those particular illnesses?

Not made up my mind, just looking into it!
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-03-2015, 09:27 PM
It is by what ones your talking about.

And you would need to check with your insurance provider.
In the U.S. it is a 50/50 if it invalidates your insurance or not.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2015, 12:09 AM
Nearly all insurance companies here require you keep your pet up to date in vaccines. The rabies is required by law and the DHLPP is usually given with it. Though you're not actually from America, I'd certainly check with the insurance company before forgoing vaccines. As for their necessity, that is arguable all the way around.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Nearly all insurance companies here require you keep your pet up to date in vaccines. The rabies is required by law and the DHLPP is usually given with it. Though you're not actually from America, I'd certainly check with the insurance company before forgoing vaccines. As for their necessity, that is arguable all the way around.
Most people who hunt wild hogs only give select vaccines after 2 years, here in the U.S. and there insurance covers them.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2015, 12:02 PM
But most or at least the vast majority of people who own dogs would never hunt wild animals, live within the city limits, and are bound by stricter vaccination rules. You MUST vaccinate for rabies no matter what, that is not optional in any case. I mean people break the law, but still.

Certain insurance companies won't even cover dogs that are voluntarily exposed to dangerous situations such as hunting wild hogs (this isn't necessary and is done only because the locals see these animals as pests).
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2015, 12:28 PM
I do the initial puppy vaccinations, and that's it. If I lived in a town or city then I would vaccinate possibly every 3 years, but the risk to my dog bearing in mind spitz breeds are susceptible to anaphylactic shock is greater from having annual boosters than it is from the tiny risk of parvo or lepto.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2015, 12:57 PM
The risk of Lepto is not "tiny" here. There is gross water all over and my boy loves nothing more than jumping in it. I'd always vaccinate for lepto and Bordatella as he is high risk for both of those due to high amounts of contact with filthy water and other dogs. The Corona, Parvo, Influenza, and all that other stuff is negligible, though. I don't think he really needs those. Depending on local laws and what your pet is exposed to, certain vaccines certainly aren't necessary. I will say that.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Yearly Rabies vaccinations are compulsory in Hungary, otherwise the owner is liable to a heavy fine and the dog is placed in quarantine for 3 weeks. The rules are strict and the mayor of each village/district has a register of all owners and dogs.

I keep my dogs vaccinations up to date as I live in area where although all the dogs have been vaccinated against Rabies, many have never been vaccinated for anything else. Also, to keep their EU Pet Passports current in case, I need to travel with them abroad, as has happened when we unexpectedly had to go to the UK
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
The risk of Lepto is not "tiny" here. There is gross water all over and my boy loves nothing more than jumping in it. I'd always vaccinate for lepto and Bordatella as he is high risk for both of those due to high amounts of contact with filthy water and other dogs. The Corona, Parvo, Influenza, and all that other stuff is negligible, though. I don't think he really needs those. Depending on local laws and what your pet is exposed to, certain vaccines certainly aren't necessary. I will say that.
Living in the countryside surrounded by foxes, lepto is indeed our "biggest" risk. But it is still very small luckily, so it is a chance I take. There have been some cases of parvo recently, but these have all been town or city dwelling dogs. My dogs never walk streets or even pavements, so they are not vaccinated.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2015, 02:23 PM
I must add that I DO NOT vaccinate older dogs, except for required by law vaccinations. I don't even use flea chemicals on them. I find that, in older dogs, the risks outweigh the benefits. Jade doesn't jump in muck or interact with dogs except for Nigredo. She doesn't need all those vaccines, and as long as Nigredo is vaccinated, I think she is fine. Never heard of an old dog getting parvo, anyway. I suppose it happens, but I've never heard of it here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >