Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maidmarianrose
New Member!
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:28 PM

New Puppy

Hi Everyone, I am hoping to get a puppy in three weeks time when Shadow will be leaving home. Any hints on welcoming our spring spaniel pup. I also have two old cats who are 16 years old. They tolerate my daughters golden retriever
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Hello,

Congratulations on the new puppy. I must have missed other threads, why is Shadow leaving home?

My cat was 12 when Tonks was introduced our home and it more or less went smoothly. I made sure Meka had places she could go to where Tonks could not and that i gave her individual attention. I didn't tell Tonks off when she showed interest in the cat but made sure that she was gently restrained and the cat had an escape route. I also distracted Tonks with toys and treats so that she realised that paying attention to me was more fun than the cat.

It's really important to make sure the puppy doesn't get to chase the cat, for the cat of course, but also so that the puppy never experiences the thrill of the of chasing the cat.

I used to watch Tonks like a hawk and she was only allowed in the rooms where the cat might choose to go if i was with her.

They live together fine now. After a while i taught off to Tonks and she was taught that this meant move your nose away and now i can use it in advance if she bounces towards the cat to say hello.

We never let her chase Meka but we did let her experiment as to how close she could get before she got a smack (from the cat, not us). I'll never forget the first the expression on her face the first time it happened!!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Congratulations on your new pup.
There are a lot of people on here who will give you some good advise.
Have you got a create? springers need as with any puppy traning and toys.
introduce him to the cats quitely as he may want to chase them if the run as soon as they see it as they are very bounce.
There is another new thread on here explaining about puppies.
we are always here to help.

Is Shadow a dog?? where is he going??
Spookle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsy

We got a pups only a week apart so cant help much with ntroducing your new puppy but someone will be along at some point to help
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Our cat has the spare room with a stair gate on so he knows he is safe there if he has had enough of them
maidmarianrose
New Member!
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Wops new at this. Shadow will be ready to leave his mum to come and live with us. Thanks for all the support this is great. I am sure that I will be here a great deal.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
Our cat has the spare room with a stair gate on so he knows he is safe there if he has had enough of them
Yep baby gates are invaluable. We have one in our hallway so the cat can safely come in through the cat flap knowing that she won't be "greated" by Tonks!

When we first got her we had to add a mesh to one side of the gate as Tonks could walk straight through. It was half the height of the gate so the cat used to go through the bars and over the mesh at the same time.

Now Tonks is ten months old and she can't even get her nose through the bars of the gate.....amazing how time flies and puppies grow!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2008, 12:07 PM
We have a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs that way the cats can choose to be downstairs or in a dog free zone upstairs also we can put food upstairs for them without the dogs getting it.