Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-01-2012, 07:19 PM

Cuts on paw

Hi,
My Greyhound Paddy has cut his paw today, it is on the inside of the paw about 1cm long. We have washed it out but can't see if it has anything stuck in it.
It's not really bleeding if he is lied down but when he stands up and walks it does have a slow trickle of blood coming from it.

He's now started twitching his leg a little bit and growls if we go to touch that leg (I cleaned it with his muzzle on).

Taking him to the vets in the morning but any advise?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
No just clean it with sterile saline solution you should have in your FA box and put a boot or bag over it when he goes outside to keep it clean.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks, I put a sock on it when he went into the garden.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Aw Hope it heals quickly.

I recently went through this with Kestral;

I covered it for the first day. Also bandaged it up to take her outside to toilet.

The rest of the time I generally kept the bandange off and washed it at least 3 times a day with a saline solution and also hibbiscrubbed it.
Some people suggest to put a cream on it to stop if from drying and splitting too much which may help.

I attempted not to walk Kestral the entire time although I have had to give in and do a couple of lead walks the last few days!

Hope it heals ok. I was only going to take Kestral to the vet if it didn't heal, got much worse, or appeared to be getting infected. Lucky keeping it clean and no walks seems to be doing the job! Good luck

These threads might also help:
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=158669

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=159329
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Jake did the same thing tonight! I usually clean it out with salty water (I boil the water and then let it cool) and cover it with a sock when he is outside... I will be getting him a bootie tomorrow though, coz he is blooming doing this all the time! It will come in very handy.

OH keeps telling me to put sudocrem on it, reading older threads, this seems ok to do... so I might give that a try in a wee while (I am waiting on some boiling water to cool down so will do it after). It looks really nasty this time, and he is limping quite badly on it just now...

WhichPets - Where do you get that hibiscrub from? And what is it?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 12:23 AM
My Bo did this a week or so ago to her back paw, about a 1cm+ cut, LOTS of blood, pretty deep.

It bled for about a day, quite heavily and first and then it got progressively lighter. I didn't bandage it but just cleaned it with diluted Hibiscrub on soft tissue three or four times a day. I kept her in for the first day she did it and lead walked her for two days after to give it a chance to heal. After 3 days or so it was healing really well so she was back off lead again. No problems since.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Hibiscrub is an animal safe wound cleaner.... An essentual item that we have on the flyball team ^.^ Dont know where you get it though
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Jake did the same thing tonight! I usually clean it out with salty water (I boil the water and then let it cool) and cover it with a sock when he is outside... I will be getting him a bootie tomorrow though, coz he is blooming doing this all the time! It will come in very handy.

OH keeps telling me to put sudocrem on it, reading older threads, this seems ok to do... so I might give that a try in a wee while (I am waiting on some boiling water to cool down so will do it after). It looks really nasty this time, and he is limping quite badly on it just now...

WhichPets - Where do you get that hibiscrub from? And what is it?
Anti bacterial cleaner, surgical grade stuff, used for wound cleaning, washing of hands (used by vets, in hospitals, etc.). A lot of pharmacies sell it and you can get it from your vet, typically as part of a prescription.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm pretty sure most chemists will sell it? I know I got mine from the online chemist Hyperdrug.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Anti bacterial cleaner, surgical grade stuff, used for wound cleaning, washing of hands (used by vets, in hospitals, etc.). A lot of pharmacies sell it and you can get it from your vet, typically as part of a prescription.
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I'm pretty sure most chemists will sell it? I know I got mine from the online chemist Hyperdrug.
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
Hibiscrub is an animal safe wound cleaner.... An essentual item that we have on the flyball team ^.^ Dont know where you get it though
Thanks I will get some tomorrow while I am out getting him a bootie! It will be handy to have in the house... I am going to stock up on bandages too... I hadn't realised I was low on them, and I often need them with Jake about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >