Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2012, 05:14 PM

Bizzar Animal Friends

Just seen this programme on nat geo wild, recorded it so its probably about a week old, i apologise if there has already been a thread posted about this. This episode was focused strictly on dogs making 'unusual' friends

In one case a yellow lab made friends with a dolphin, would wait for it coming into shore, usually knew it was coming about 20 minutes before it arrived then would go swimming with it. The dog was supervised the whole time incase it swam too far or exhausted itself.

Another yellow lab made friends with a cheetah in a rescue reserve, it is again supervised the whole time, the cheetah is submissive to the dog who takes charge and lets the cheetah know if it is getting out of hand. I do worry that once the cheetah is old enough its instincts will kick in and it will kill the dog though

Another dog made friends with a brown bear who it rescued from the wild, dogs owners looked after the bear and built it up until it was bigger and stronger, the bear is now in an orphanage and getting ready to go back into the wild.

a gsd made friends with a Donkey and even taught it how to play fetch!

A lurcher made friends with a rescue fox, once the fox was big enough though it went into a reserve with other foxes and unfortunately wont be able to go back into the wild as it is too used to human and dog contact which could be too dangerous for it.

and a great dane made friends with an orphaned fawn, the fawn was nursed by the dogs owners and would go into the woods at night to sleep then come back in the morning to play with the dog. It even hid its fawns near to the farm to keep them safe from harm

Really put a smile on my face
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-12-2012, 05:20 PM
It's lovely seeing how dogs manage to make friends with all sorts of animals, I think it's something they have learned from us over the years

Here's a news story that Linda posted a little while ago: Elephant loses best friend – a dog called Bella

Are there any youtube clips of that program btw Hannah? I'm curious now
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2012, 05:24 PM
That sounds lovely Hannah

I have heard of a few odd doggy friends before, a dog and a duck and a dog and a horse .
We had a Schnauzer bitch Franny who suckled and raised a kitten Thomas which then spent all its time with the dogs and used to come with me when I took the dogs for a walk. We think Thomas the cat thought he was a dog .
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2012, 05:27 PM
This is the only clip i could find, its about the dog and dolphin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRqfG3n1uJ0 hope the link works?
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Link to the youtube channel of the lady who owns the Great Dane who is friends with the deer : http://www.youtube.com/user/isobelspringett I don't think any of the videos tell you the story of how they got together but you can see how they interact as how good their relationship is It certainly is amazing to see these animals interacting in such a way, especially in the case of the lurcher and great dane who were bred to hunt the animals they have made friends with!