View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2007, 11:58 PM

In the middle of house training any tips ??(also urine smell)

Hi,

I am in the middle of training my 13 week old pup, he is not doing very well, he is out the back all day with my 2 other bitches (both spayed) and goes to the toilet lovely out there but when he comes in even though they get let out every half hour for toilet purposes we still find messes in between, he knows he is doing wrong as we walk in an he puts his head down.

I am not bothered really about the mess its more the smell, I have ceramic tiled flooring but the smell is horrendous and nothing I use seems to shift it eg: Bleach, Normal Floor Cleaners, Biological washing powder.

I am after a few mess cleaning tips if anybody has some aswell as some training tips if you have any, I have always had mine usually trained around this time but for some reason this little one is stubborn.

Many Thanks In Advance
Sarah

*Reposted in a thread which it is more suited to*
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 01:01 AM
mabey he / she has an infection puppy wee should not be too strong or awful, if thats not the case baking soda, sprinkeld on the floor leave it for a few hours and hover it up, it will remove smells form the hover too, so two birds one stone, I often use it on the stairs and so on just to get the doggy smell out, it should work even on tiles,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi Taz although your puppy may go outside to relieve itself when given the opportunity, unless you go out with him and shown what you wish him to do and where with the use of praise and a reward he will not be 100% house trained. At 13 weeks he will be starting to get control of his bodily functions so house training him fully should not take long.

Start by choosing a word that means you wish him to relieve himself, this will be the word you will always use, I say 'be clean' .

Next you need to watch him for signs that he wishes to go out,things like sniffing the ground and circling and also take him out at the times he is most likely to want to go out this is after sleep/food/play/excitement and about once an hour.
Take him to the spot you wish him to us (always the same spot ) and when he is in the middle of relieving himself say your chosen word so he associates the word with the action, the moment he finishes give him a treat from your pocket and lots of excited praise. This will teach him that relieving himself outside is a good thing to do and it brings a reward.

You say
he knows he is doing wrong as we walk in an he puts his head down.
this is not so, he has learnt to associate a mess on the floor with your displeasure, he does not know going in the house is the wrong thing to do.

Never scold your dog if he has an accident, if you do so he will become scared to relieve himself in your presence and may even eat the evidence to avoid your displeasure. Instead clean up the mistake without a word , wash the soiled area with a mixture of biological washing powder and water to remove the scent, (for urine remove the excess first with kitchen roll) if the scent lingers use white vinegar, many household cleaners contain ammonia which has a similar smell to urine so they don't fuly eliminate the smell, the enzymes in the washing powder do . as Shona says Bicarb is good too. Once the area is well cleaned hard surfaces can be rubbed with a little pure oil of lavender (from health food type shops).

Gradually phase out the treats as you progress and your puppy learns what is expected , but always praise.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 11:14 AM
thanks for that mini, I had no idea that washing powder is good for this, its not unheard of for vinnie to do a bit of scent marking when one of the bitches are in season, I will give this a go next time that or nappy him up,
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Taz although your puppy may go outside to relieve itself when given the opportunity, unless you go out with him and shown what you wish him to do and where with the use of praise and a reward he will not be 100% house trained. At 13 weeks he will be starting to get control of his bodily functions so house training him fully should not take long.

Start by choosing a word that means you wish him to relieve himself, this will be the word you will always use, I say 'be clean' .

Next you need to watch him for signs that he wishes to go out,things like sniffing the ground and circling and also take him out at the times he is most likely to want to go out this is after sleep/food/play/excitement and about once an hour.
Take him to the spot you wish him to us (always the same spot ) and when he is in the middle of relieving himself say your chosen word so he associates the word with the action, the moment he finishes give him a treat from your pocket and lots of excited praise. This will teach him that relieving himself outside is a good thing to do and it brings a reward.

You say this is not so, he has learnt to associate a mess on the floor with your displeasure, he does not know going in the house is the wrong thing to do.

Never scold your dog if he has an accident, if you do so he will become scared to relieve himself in your presence and may even eat the evidence to avoid your displeasure. Instead clean up the mistake without a word , wash the soiled area with a mixture of biological washing powder and water to remove the scent, (for urine remove the excess first with kitchen roll) if the scent lingers use white vinegar, many household cleaners contain ammonia which has a similar smell to urine so they don't fuly eliminate the smell, the enzymes in the washing powder do . as Shona says Bicarb is good too. Once the area is well cleaned hard surfaces can be rubbed with a little pure oil of lavender (from health food type shops).

Gradually phase out the treats as you progress and your puppy learns what is expected , but always praise.
I wonder if that is why Rufus eats poo as his first owner got rid of him for not being house trained yet. He is doing very well now and has not had an accident for quite a long time. Any suggestions for getting him to stop eating the poo?
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by taz_in_2001 View Post
Hi,

I am in the middle of training my 13 week old pup, he is not doing very well, he is out the back all day with my 2 other bitches (both spayed) and goes to the toilet lovely out there but when he comes in even though they get let out every half hour for toilet purposes we still find messes in between, he knows he is doing wrong as we walk in an he puts his head down.

I am not bothered really about the mess its more the smell, I have ceramic tiled flooring but the smell is horrendous and nothing I use seems to shift it eg: Bleach, Normal Floor Cleaners, Biological washing powder.

I am after a few mess cleaning tips if anybody has some aswell as some training tips if you have any, I have always had mine usually trained around this time but for some reason this little one is stubborn.

Many Thanks In Advance
Sarah

*Reposted in a thread which it is more suited to*
Simple Solution stain and Odour remover is very good. You can get it at Pets at Home £3.99
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
I wonder if that is why Rufus eats poo as his first owner got rid of him for not being house trained yet. He is doing very well now and has not had an accident for quite a long time. Any suggestions for getting him to stop eating the poo?
Hi Thanks all for the comments.

I just had to post to you, my eldest bitch had a problem with eating her poo she was doing it before she came to us the same as yours in situation plus she was beaten.
I stopped this by changing her food to a gluten free one, it did wonders she has stopped doing it completely.
I use Skinners Field & Trial Hypoallergenic Duck & Rice, they have also brought out a Salmon flavour

Sarah
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 09:18 PM
If you are putting him out every 30 mins and he is still weeing I would put him out every 15 mins(boring I know)

And fuss him like mad when he wees in the garden and totally ignore him when he does it in the house