Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Barking Heads - Golden Years - Joint Support 'Extra'

I am thinking of changing Star over to Barking Heads Senior food. She currently gets glucosamine added to her diet but the Barking Heads has Glucosamine, MSM and Chondroitin Sulphate added.

Joint Support 'Extra' - Glucosamine 1700mg/kg, MSM 1700mg/kg, Chondroitin Sulphate 1200mg/kg
Would I still need to add glucosamine to Star's diet if feeding this food?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 10:05 AM
The thing you have to work out is how much does your dog eat a day and then you can work out how much supplement is actually in it.

Personally I think this is just a manufacturer cashing in, and I would prefer to feed a regular food and I will add the supplements myself, that way I control the quantity AND the quality.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Can I just say to buy a small bag of it first to see if it suits your dog?

Cherry and Parker have been on the normal Salmon Barking Heads and they loved it and are doing well on it. Half the time they get home-cooked anyway. However, as they are 9 and 10 I changed them on to the senior version about 6 weeks ago and the windy smells have been vile! Unfortunately I bought 12kg of the stuff. I hoped it would pass as perhaps it was due to changing the food but it hasn't and we can't take the smell anymore!

It might just be my dogs as they do have sensitive tummies in that they can't eat bones or rawhide as it gives them diorrhea but you have been warned!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Fresh Scottish Salmon (min 26%), Potato (min 26%), Ground Oats, Dried Salmon, (min 15%), Potato Starch, Rapeseed Oil, Salmon Oil, Minerals, Dried Tomato, Natural Seaweed, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, Vitamins.

Brown Rice, Dried Chicken, Dried Scottish Salmon, Potato, Ground Oats, Salmon, Salmon Oil, Lucerne, Sunflower Oil, Tomato, Minerals & Vitamins, Carrot, Natural Seaweed, Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin Sulphate, Cranberry, Apple, Prebiotics FOS & MOS

I expect the wind has been generated by the amount of rice……… it is the largest single ingredient in the senior food! Potato does not usually generate as much wind!
Carole
Supervisor

23-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The thing you have to work out is how much does your dog eat a day and then you can work out how much supplement is actually in it.

Personally I think this is just a manufacturer cashing in, and I would prefer to feed a regular food and I will add the supplements myself, that way I control the quantity AND the quality.
It does seem better to feed regular food and add the supplements like I have been doing but I might try and work it out just out of curiosity to see how much food is needed to get the correct dose of supplements.
Carole
Supervisor

23-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Can I just say to buy a small bag of it first to see if it suits your dog?

Cherry and Parker have been on the normal Salmon Barking Heads and they loved it and are doing well on it. Half the time they get home-cooked anyway. However, as they are 9 and 10 I changed them on to the senior version about 6 weeks ago and the windy smells have been vile! Unfortunately I bought 12kg of the stuff. I hoped it would pass as perhaps it was due to changing the food but it hasn't and we can't take the smell anymore!

It might just be my dogs as they do have sensitive tummies in that they can't eat bones or rawhide as it gives them diorrhea but you have been warned!
So do you think the adult version is much better than the senior then? The lamb looks good with its high meat percentage.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
So do you think the adult version is much better than the senior then? The lamb looks good with its high meat percentage.
Yes-I'm going back to the adult version when we next need some. They were fine on that and I'll just add supplements. I really can't stand all that wind!

Thanks for your info Smokeybear but they used to be on
Pero Organic chicken and rice for years and were never this windy so I can't understand it!

They are on Eukanuba chicken and rice at the moment as I got a bag half price as it was short-dated. They like this too and with us having to pay Cherry's medical bills in full now I am having to count the pennies unfortunately. Next time they need some food I will definitely go back to Barking Heads though.
Carole
Supervisor

24-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Yes-I'm going back to the adult version when we next need some. They were fine on that and I'll just add supplements. I really can't stand all that wind!
Thanks for replying Might get a small bag of the lamb and rice to try out.

Wonder why the senior food is more rice based when the adult range has lots more lamb/chicken/salmon. I have noticed that with a few other foods too
bigdogworld
New Member!
Male 

29-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Might be a bit late to the party here but we provide free samples of all Barking Heads foods. Just contact us through the website and we'll be happy to send you sample bags of any of their foods free of charge

Neil.