Our sister sites
harleypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2009, 11:12 AM

Clicking Puppy

Hi there,

This might sound quite random but....

For a day or so now, I've noticed that SOMETIMES when Harley (11 week old Dalmation) is wondering around one of his front legs clicks (sounds the same as when a human's joints click!).
I can't work out which leg it is, or even which joint it is. Is this something I should be worried about or is it just part and parcel of him growing? Am I being obsessive?

Any advice/comments will be hugely appreciated.
Thanks,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi Sian the clicking could be something or nothing and I would mention it to the vet when next you visit.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2009, 06:03 PM
I would get it checked if it is joint problems, which it sounds as if it may be, you need to know so that you can adjust exercise levels
Bucksmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by harleypup View Post
Hi there,

This might sound quite random but....

For a day or so now, I've noticed that SOMETIMES when Harley (11 week old Dalmation) is wondering around one of his front legs clicks (sounds the same as when a human's joints click!).
I can't work out which leg it is, or even which joint it is. Is this something I should be worried about or is it just part and parcel of him growing? Am I being obsessive?

Any advice/comments will be hugely appreciated.
Thanks,
Hi Harley pup,
I had a similair noise on the first labrador that i ever bred years ago.It was a back leg so of course i convinced myself it was hip displaysia.I had her hips x rayed at 13 months and they were excellent,she has since worked 4 days a week(gundog)never had a problem.So although i can't give you any clues as to the cause of the noise i wouldn't worry too much so long as he's not lame .Hope this puts your mind at rest,hope it's nothing more serious.
harleypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm going to keep an eye on it, he's at the vets for his jabs on friday so I'll mention it then!

Originally Posted by Bucksmum View Post
Hi Harley pup,
I had a similair noise on the first labrador that i ever bred years ago.It was a back leg so of course i convinced myself it was hip displaysia.I had her hips x rayed at 13 months and they were excellent,she has since worked 4 days a week(gundog)never had a problem.So although i can't give you any clues as to the cause of the noise i wouldn't worry too much so long as he's not lame .Hope this puts your mind at rest,hope it's nothing more serious.
Thanks for that Bucksmum! That does put my mind at rest indeed, I know it's not the same, but my shoulder ALWAYS cracks and thats nothing....sooooo fingers crossed it might be a similar thing. He's not limping or crying or anything so we'll see how he goes!
Thanks again!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Sian the clicking could be something or nothing and I would mention it to the vet when next you visit.
hi
hi as mini said i would mention it to the vet next time you are there,if your pup is not lame,i would relax a tad it is very unlikely that it is something to panic about in such a young puppy,joint problems do not NORMALY surface so early and without symptoms