Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 07:16 PM

Cut & Paste

For some reason sometimes my PC will not allow me to cut & paste, this bugs me enormously!! I highlight the word/words I want to cut but when I right click it will not bring up the box to enable to to choose the paste option. Anyone have any idea why this is? it doesn't happen all the time either which is more frustrating!!!

I like to use the smiley sites and sometimes it allows me to copy the url and other times not, arghhh!!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Mine sometimes does this and i think its because the arrow thingy has to on the last part of sentence-otherwise i get another box up which has 'select all' in it.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2005, 08:22 PM
You could try using the keyboard shortcuts

Ctrl+C to copy
Ctrl+V to paste
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Can't say for sure without any specifics. If the right-click paste isn't an option in an application like Word, it usually means that there is nothing saved onto the Windows clipboard at the time (ie the right-click copy didn't take or the windows clipboard got purged before the paste operation took place).

Some sites disable the right-click option, but you should get a message stating words to that effect. Use the keyboard shortcuts Stewart B said instead.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-09-2005, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
For some reason sometimes my PC will not allow me to cut & paste, this bugs me enormously!! I highlight the word/words I want to cut but when I right click it will not bring up the box to enable to to choose the paste option. Anyone have any idea why this is? it doesn't happen all the time either which is more frustrating!!!

I like to use the smiley sites and sometimes it allows me to copy the url and other times not, arghhh!!
you asked for CUT & PASTE ?

Windows Program Key Combinations
• CTRL+C: Copy
• CTRL+X: Cut
• CTRL+V: Paste
• CTRL+Z: Undo
• CTRL+B: Bold
• CTRL+U: Underline
• CTRL+I: Italic

leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Does the below happen if so I found this in the Help and support in windows just typed cut and paste and got loads of different stuff for word and excel plus others might help you out as you exactly what’s happening.

Also what royv said about some sites stopping you from right clicking is true don't come up all that offten but you can still get the info off the screen just have to do a sreen shot then cut and paste.

WD: Space Is Inserted or Lost When You Cut or Paste Text
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 118833
Last Review : August 16, 2005
Revision : 1.1
This article was previously published under Q118833
On This Page

SYMPTOMS
CAUSE
WORKAROUND
MORE INFORMATION
Word 7.0
Word 6.0
APPLIES TO

SYMPTOMS
The following behavior may occur in Word when you cut, delete, or paste text:

• When you select Track Changes While Editing (Mark Revisions While Editing is Word 7.x and ealier) and you cut or delete a word, the space following the word is also marked as deleted text.
• When you copy text that contains a period followed by two spaces, Word deletes the two spaces when you paste the text on a blank line in the document.
• When you copy text that contains a period followed by two spaces, Word replaces the two spaces with one space when you paste the text between two other lines of text that each end in a period followed by two spaces.
• When you cut or copy a field code and then paste the field code immediately before or after text, Word fails to insert a space between the text and the field code.
• When you select a space or nonbreaking space that follows punctuation (such as a comma, period, question mark, or colon), Word fails to delete the space when you press DELETE or BACKSPACE or when you click Clear on the Edit menu. For example, if you select the space following "cats," in the following text and press DELETE, Word may not remove the space:
cats, dogs and birds

Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior occurs when you enable the "Use Smart Cut and Paste" option and you cut, delete, or paste text.
Back to the top

WORKAROUND
To work around this behavior, use the following steps to disable the "Smart Cut and Paste" option:

1. On the Tools menu, click Options (Preferences Word 9.
2. Click the Edit tab.
3. Clear the "Use Smart Cut and Paste" check box. Click OK.

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
"Smart Cut and Paste" removes extra spaces when you delete text and adds spaces when you insert text from the Clipboard.
Back to the top

Word 7.0
For more information, click Microsoft Word Topics on the Help menu, click the Index tab, and type smart in the text box.

Double-click the selected text to go to the "smart cut and paste" topic.
Back to the top

Word 6.0
For more information, click "Search for Help on" on the Help menu, click the Index tab, and type spacing in the text box.

Double-click the "spacing around deleted or inserted text" topic to go to the "automatically adjusting spacing around deleted or inserted text" topic.
Back to the top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Word 6.0 for Macintosh
• Microsoft Word 6.01 for Macintosh
• Microsoft Word 6.01 for Macintosh
• Microsoft Word 6.0 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Word 6.0a
• Microsoft Word 6.0c
• Microsoft Word 95 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Word 95a
• Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Word 98 for Macintosh

Back to the top