Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:20 AM

What is an 'issue'

Leading on from the rescue dog thread. Someone once said to me that a problem was only a problem if the owner perceived it as a problem.

It became clear to me while reading the other thread. What I ignored and accepted is looked on as a issue by others and vice versa.

So what do you consider to be an issue?

rune
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:26 AM
I've never really thought about this to be fair. An issue to me is probably something like dogs scrapping endlessly, now that would be an issue as it affects the way the household is run to incorporate animals...Does that make sense??

Stuff like chewing, peeing etc is a minor problem that can be overcome, but I wouldn't call them issues.

(I have an 8yr old twittering in me ear - thinking straight is not an option at the mo ) x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:28 AM
I consider any form of aggression an issue - but can understand if the dog has been deprived. However I let mine guard their food from the others - they aren't allowed to guard from me/any other human. Saying that - I have never had scraps nor any attempted scraps over food - just grumbles.. I always keep an eye on my dog when food is present and they aren't allowed it when I'm not there..

SA - an issue, but the extent of the issue depends on the dog - if it's really bad then it's a big issue, if it's not bad then it's just a small one..

Chase instinct - wouldn't call it a major issue, just a case of strengthening recall.

Chewing - again, not much of an issue - depending on the dog of course.

I wouldn't call toileting in the house and issue..

What other issues are there Rune? I'm just going on the ones I have had in my dogs.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:30 AM
A behaviour that I'm not happy with my dogs displaying..

Zeke has a big 'issue' with sheep (not let off around them but used to froth at the mouth and would definately chase) but I would say that is his only issue.

Keisha has lots of 'issues' IMO, but interestingly not in my husbands opinion - this is the point you said, an issue to me but not to him, guess he's more laid back than I am when it comes to the dogs . Issues to me are that she can be bad mannered on the lead, pulling, biting it initiating play at the wrong times, yanks to sniff passers by carrier bags, he says all these small things are not 'issues', she's just a 'happy go lucky lively pup, just her character' (she's 4 now and is a bit nutty ).

I'm quite fickle I think.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:35 AM
The only 'issue' which i am not sure is an issue, but would be nice if we can crack it, is Ruby barking at the sound of the alarm tiny one beep first thing in the morning till we let her out.

It isnt an issue in that we can come straight down to let her out, but would be nice if you could at least get time for a wee first (getting older.

Again another 'issue' is Ruby does sometimes run in slightly fast on other approaching dogs, i think it is something we notice more than others and dont really get comments on it, but we are working hard on the gentle and anytime it looks like it will be a very fast flyby then we recall her and stop it, which generally works, but to us this could become an issue.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Casper is a reactive dog - it's not really a problem for me at the moment as I can walk him daily with very slim chances of even seeing other dogs, but it *is* an issue and one I will have to face up to properly once I move house (I'm working on it but probably a bit more slowly than I should, because our circumstances allow me to be a bit more lax), because we certainly couldn't buy somewhere like where we're living now. I don't think that the fact it's not a problem now means there is no issue.
Also take something like resource guarding, you could manage your dogs perfectly fine so no problems ever occur in the house, but the issue is still there - with the potential to flare up in a new situation. Seperation anxiety may not be a problem if you work from home/can take your dog to work/never have to go anywhere without the dog, but it's still an issue that you should ideally work on before the situation changes.
I do think that there are some behaviours that people may disagree about being issues though. E.g. some people feel that a dog that doesn't get on with every single dog out there has issues with dog aggressive. Others feel that it's unrealistic to expect every dog to get along. Some people may think a dog climbing on furniture is an issue, others encourage it. A ball-obsessed dog - issue for some people, great motivation for training in other people's eyes.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Issues to me:
Something that bothers you/or others about the dogs behavior - therefore it will be different for everyone.. Obviously some things are just dog behavior and you have to be accepting that when you have a dog, it is an animal not a furry person!

-Fear
-Aggression to dogs or people
-Guarding
-SA
-Recall
-Destructive behavior
-Lack of manners
-Barking/howling

All of these are issues to an extent, some will not bother people and others are easily dealt with...
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:09 AM
I think if some people spent the day with my lot they would see issues, which I actually don't.

Bruce doesn't like people going out the front door he barks...not when they come in though....people would see that as an issue, I just tell him ''on your bed'' before people leave. Problem/issue solved

Skye has to be first to greet 'dad' home otherwise the others get told off....I just say 'wait' Skye greets then the others go to him...problem/issue solved

Mojo's recall can be tampered with when she is ''hunting'' people see recall as an issue....I just shout 'bye then no biscuits' and she flies back....problem/issue solved

An issue to me would be something that can never be worked with. BC's I find have obsessions that some people think 'I couldn't be having that' where as I turn it to my advantage and use it to train with, its just a case of seeing the other side of the coin IMO
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Mojo's recall can be tampered with when she is ''hunting'' people see recall as an issue....I just shout 'bye then no biscuits' and she flies back....problem/issue solved
"Bye then" is the best secondary recall for Louie too (well 3rd; vocal, whistle then threat of leaving him) as he is "hunting" too.. which you're right - people would see it as an issue I did too until I learned to relax about it and not constantly be calling him back every 5 seconds.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
"Bye then" is the best secondary recall for Louie too (well 3rd; vocal, whistle then threat of leaving him) as he is "hunting" too.. which you're right - people would see it as an issue I did too until I learned to relax about it and not constantly be calling him back every 5 seconds.
I always work on....calm...relax....and speak softly not bellowing those three things work wonders with these often find myself telling Pat...calm and relax...calm and relax he has a mini panic every so often
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >